Purpose of the position:
To implement and monitor health and nutrition emergency response interventions in Mandera County through various approaches which include Integrated Management of Acute Malnutrition, Infant and Young Child Nutrition and capacity building of health workers and community health volunteers.
Programmatic and technical support for nutrition projects 40%
- Ensure all affected children, pregnant and lactating women are identified, admitted and discharged from emergency nutrition programs as per national Integrated Management of Acute Malnutrition(IMAM) guidelines and Maternal Infant and Young Child Nutrition (IYCN) guidelines
- In liaison with Ministry of Health organize and coordinate integrated outreaches in hard to reach areas to increase access to nutrition services
- Work closely with community Health volunteers to mobilize communities to participate in nutrition project interventions
- Conduct training and sensitization of health facility staff and Community Health Volunteers on IMAM, IYCF, ICCM and micronutrients supplementation
- Support the Sub-County and county nutrition officers) to make timely requests and quality reporting for nutrition commodities to ensure there are no stocks out.
- In liaison with project accountant ensure monthly tracking of project expenditure and manage work plans and budgets
Quality assurance for programmatic Designs, Assessments, Monitoring and Evaluation processes 20%
- Develop quality reports: weekly situation reports , monthly reports and quarterly reports as per WV and/donor(s) reporting guidelines
- In liaison with other project partners and MoH develop monitoring plan ,analyze nutrition information from health information system and other sources to understand trends for timely decision making
- Document success stories, and best practices to demonstrate the impact created by WVK from the project implementation
Advocacy, Engagement, Networking & Partnerships.15%**
- Represent WVK in nutrition stakeholder meetings county and/or sub-county levels.
- Engaging with MoH as Sub-County or county level to influence resource allocation nutrition
Enhanced Empowerment & Capacity building. 10%
- Ensure capacity Building of government community and CBOs be able to effectively manage and sustain Health and Nutrition interventions
Resource Acquisition 10%
- Identify potential areas for fundraising and provide information to inform fund raising initiatives for health and nutrition, education, gender, child protection and disability at all levels
Any other duties as assigned by Supervisor or designee
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
· Minimum of Bachelor degree in Nutrition, Public Health, Nursing Sciences, Environmental health or their equivalent related field.
· At least three years working experience of which two should be in a maternal, newborn and child health/nutrition interventions.
· Good understanding of Ministry of health systems, Health and Nutrition programming models, standards and guidelines , Ministries of Health structures at county and national levels
· Familiarity of national Health and Nutrition policy and advocacy instruments and structures
· First-hand experience in health and Nutrition programming including in complex emergencies
· Significant experience working with an NGO environment, community and peoples groups, state institutions etc.
· MUST be registered with relevant health associations such e.g. Kenya Nutritionists and Dieticians Institute.
Other Competencies / Attributes:
· Effective in written and verbal communication in English
· Experience in conducting health and nutrition surveys using Lot Quality Assurance Survey (LQAS), Open Data Kit or ENA-SMART methodologies is an added advantage.
· Demonstrated understanding and experience of working with Ministries of Health, Ministry of Agriculture and other structures at county and national levels and networking with other partners
Other Competencies / Attributes:
- Must be able to provide spiritual leadership within but not limited to chapel and daily devotions;
- Must have outstanding oral and written communications and relationship skills and;
- Must be willing to perform other duties as required