The project manager supervises the implementation and coordination of MEDAIR’s integrated WASH project in Southern Madagascar in the Beloha district. Provide leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair project in Southern Madagascar, the Project Manager also plays a key role in team leadership and new project creation and design.
Medair started up a new pilot project in Southern Madagascar in collaboration with the Practica foundation which focuses on bringing potable water to the commune of Marolinta. The pilot project will test new WASH techniques to capture and store rain water, rehabilitate existing water points and set up new boreholes where they can be drilled in the Marolinta municipality.
Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Beloha district, Beloha town and Marolinta Municipality, Madagascar. Take a look at Medair’s work in Madagascar.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months extendable to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of MEDAIR’s “Rano Velo” WASH project in consultation with the relevant Sectorial Team Leaders (STL) in accordance with the project proposal ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken in time.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated project, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Support the STL in day-to-day decision making as requested.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted and reports made to the relevant in-country or GSO managers or to donors.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at relevant meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination and security) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated project, in collaboration with the relevant STL and GSO Sector Advisers and in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Working with the relevant STL, ensuring that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Country Director & GSO Head of Programs.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
- Ensure the project is implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of the relevant advisors at GSO regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration/technical training in WASH and related fields.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
- Capability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills.
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.