- Lead the participatory project implementation processes at all levels, having analyzed the social, economic and environmental trends in the localities, regions and country as a whole, and establish the implementation plans for the project, having taken into consideration the grassroots aspects;
- Track financial delivery trends and ensure that the planned activities are implemented on a timely basis to ensure results;
- Plan and manage the project reviewing exercise, as well as solve emerging problems and manage implementation risks;
- Propose areas for continuing support, based on changing country and regional trends, priorities, social and economic conditions;
- Manage the preparation of Programme Steering Committees and other meetings and follow up on all decisions taken to ensure implementation and/ or timely action;
- Submit required and other project reports (progress, financial, procurement, etc.) for management information, oversight and action.
- Coordinate the project activities with relevant activities and initiatives of MEFCC and other Government institutions;
- Develop and /or revise the project Annual Work Plans (AWPs), setting out in precise detail activities, targets, budgets, standards for measuring progress and results and determine the processes, tools and methodologies to be used to ensure effective and efficient project implementation and operations;
- Manage project implementation in accordance with objectives, schedule and planned budget;
- Review proposals and their budgets, submitted by the implementing regions, for funding and implementation;
- Facilitate payments to the Implementing Partners, following the UNDP and Programmes / Project Implementation Manuals (PIM) rules and regulations;
- Ensure that the funds received by the Implementing Partners are spent effectively and efficiently, in line with the approved plans;
- Track project resources and results regularly;
- Review the financial and substantive reports received from the Implementing regions and liquidate the advances accordingly;
- Manage all project activities, staff and consultants for timely implementation of requirements on Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Coordinate awareness creation on all project activities;
- Ensure timely preparation of annual project reports, work plans and other relevant project documents;
- Oversee financial and administrative performance (financial plan, allocation and transfer of funds, oversee finance and administration officer);
- Prepare Terms of Reference for consultants to be recruited and participate in the recruitment process and oversee their performance and ensure their optimal performance;
- Hire, train, supervise and manage staff under the project office;
- Lead monitoring and evaluation of project outputs;
- Monitor progress and identify risks for timely action and early resolution;
- Participate in the project asset procurement processes and oversee the use of the assets;
- Participate in the audit exercises and follow up on the recommendations and issues;
- Ensure complementarity and learning across the project and related initiatives (for example on pollution and health).
- Ensure cooperation between the participating institutions of the project;
- Organize and chair review meetings and serve as secretary to the National Steering Committee;
- Maintain dialogue with partners and stakeholders to advocate, promote and advance organizational issues, priorities, interests and competencies for a successful project delivery;
- Facilitate institutional linkages with the related initiatives, and participate in the meetings, inter-agencies missions and working group consultation processes;
- Support multi-sectoral engagement on pollution and health;
- Coordinate and communicate with the relevant stakeholders at all levels, for effective project planning, implementation, monitoring and overall management for the achievement of results;
- Develop close working relationship with the UNDP Programme, Policy Advisory, Knowledge Management, Communication and Operations Units.
- Contribute substantially to knowledge-building initiatives at national, regional and local levels;
- Help document key governance, financing, and political barriers to action on pollution and its implications for health;
- Through day-to-day interactions, develop a network of knowledge-sharing on PCB Management and Results Based Management (RBM);
- Contribute to the UNDP website, newsletter, booklets, etc.;
- Contribute knowledge and experience to the corporate and CO knowledge sharing networks and platforms.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Demonstrates strong analytical and management skills applied to managing programmes / projects, and human and financial resources;
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills, including strong competence in verbal and written English;
- Interpersonal and diplomatic skills, work adaptation in multi-cultural environment, proven ability to facilitate cooperation in a multi-disciplinary team;
- Excellent process management, negotiation, analytical and organizational skills;
- Ability to substantially contribute to formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to lead teams effectively and solve conflicts;
- Demonstrates capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time to meet goals in a highly demanding environment and to support other colleagues in achieving similar goals;
- Ability to work flexibly at the senior and strategic levels as well as to provide practical support at the operational level;
- Ability to quickly grasp and synthesize inputs from a range of sources, especially those related planning, service delivery and monitoring and evaluation;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision and seriousness about quality and timeliness of work;
- Builds effective relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the government required. Excellent interpersonal skills are essential part of the job;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit;
- Good ICT skills.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Bachelor or a master’s degree in project management, Economics, Environmental science, geography and Environmental studies, chemical engineering, environmental health, or other relevant field.
- At least 4 years of professional experience for master’s degree, or 6 years of professional experience for Bachelor degree, in the specific areas the project is dealing with, including solid knowledge of the management of POPs chemicals in Ethiopia and climate change mitigation (ideally including PCB management), and some knowledge of environmental health;
- Familiar with intranational protocols particularly Stockholm convention;
- Experience in managing or participating in projects of similar complexity and nature, including a demonstrated capacity to actively explore new, innovative implementation and financing mechanisms to achieve the project objectives;
- Demonstrated experience and success in the engagement of, and working with, the private sector and NGOs, creating partnerships for activities of common interest.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Amharic.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One year with a possibility of extension