- Manage the realization of project outputs through implementation of activities planned at national, provincial and local levels according to the Project’s Result Framework and Annual Work Plans;
- Ensure that the overall integrity of the project is maintained by providing overall direction and guidance to the Project Team based in Lubango, Huila and three Thematic Teams of provincial planning, information management, and early warning and community planning;
- Directly advise and support the implementation of activities planned by the Thematic Team of provincial planning and budgeting for the delivery of the Project’s first output;
- Facilitate direct implementation support provided by Information Management Specialist to the Thematic Teams of information management, and early warning and community planning under the Project’s second output;
- Identify and obtain any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the project activities;
- Assume overall responsibility for project administration, including finance, procurement / logistics and personnel of the Project team;
- Mobilize goods and services, i.e. tools, equipment, and consultancies to implement activities, including drafting quality TORs along with work specifications and clear results;
- Liaise with any suppliers in close coordination with Programme Associate and procurement staff, where necessary;
- Ensure preparation and updating of Work Plans and timely submission, as provided for in the Project Document and UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP) for directly implemented projects;
- Manage request for the provision of financial resources by UNDP, using advance of funds, direct payments, or reimbursement using the FACE (Fund Authorization and Certificate of Expenditures), where relevant;
- Manage and monitor the project risks as initially identified in the Project Document appraised by the LPAC, submit new risks to the UNDP for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risks by maintaining the Project Risks Log; and
- Be responsible for managing issues and requests for change by maintaining an Issues Log.
- Coordinate with other strategic partners at national level, such as Camões, I.P., Portuguese Civil Protection, EU, FAO, IFAD, CNPC, MINFIN, MEP, MAT and relevant national institutes by applying appropriate engagement strategies;
- Ensure operational coordination and collaboration at local level in the three target provinces with the Provincial Civil Protection Commission (CPPC), the Municipal Civil Protection Commission (CMPC) and select target communities by establishing an appropriate technical coordination mechanism, as envisaged in the Project Document;
- Facilitate inter-sectorial collaboration and partnership through the application of “whole of Government” and “whole of society” approaches;
- Facilitate technical collaboration with international technical partners in their respective areas of expertise, such as ITC/ILO, UNISDR, OCHA, UNFPA, IFRC, UNU and GDACS;
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings and work programmes of the Provincial Planning team under the Project’s first output; and
- Ensure the implementation of activities for the South-South cooperation envisaged in the Project Document.
- Prepare the Project Quarterly Progress Report (progress against planned activities and results, update on Risks and Issues, expenditures) according to the Result Framework and budget, and submit the report to the UNDP Project Assurance;
- Prepare the Annual Review Report, and submit the report to the UNDP Project Assurance;
- Report to the FRESAN Programme Steering Committee (PSC) in each focal province and participate in the Coordination Group (CG) and Technical Group (TG), when needed;
- Report to the Technical Implementation Committee held in Luanda;
- Monitor project outputs and manage progress against the outcomes defined in the FRESAN Programme and the UNDP Country Programme Document (CPD);
- Update the original Result Framework, as recommended by the PSC and/or relevant evaluation planned under the FRESAN Programme;
- Update the project budget when authorized by the contracting authority;
- Monitor event as determined in the Monitoring Plans, update the plan as required, and facilitate monitoring visits;
- Monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Facilitate outcome evaluation involving the Project;
- Prepare Final Project Review Report to be submitted to the UNDP Project Assurance;
- Identify follow-on actions and submit them for consideration to the UNDP;
- Manage the transfer of project deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials to national beneficiaries upon completion of the Project; and
- Prepare final CDR/FACE for signature by UNDP.
4. Ensures effective knowledge management and communication under the project by focusing on the following results:
- Ensure that knowledge, good practices and lessons be captured regularly, as well as actively sourced from other projects and partners and integrated back into the Project;
- Effectively manage the production of knowledge materials foreseen in the Project Document and share those nationally and internationally in close collaboration with the UNDP RBM and Communication team;
- Ensure that publications, lessons learned, and technical documents based on this Project experience, including exchange of experiences, be uploaded to relevant online platforms i.e. UNDP website, the Disaster Risk Management Knowledge Centre (DRMKC) etc;
- Facilitate the preparation and implementation of the DRR social communication strategy; and
- Ensure successful implementation of the Communication and Visibility plan established for the Project.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Focuses on impact and result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
- Presentation skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior
- Good interpersonal, network and team building skills.
- Organizes and accurately complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
- Able to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to managing data, reporting, technical and administrative services in support of programme activities
- Able to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skill
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes, books and reports, using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records, conforming to the required standard
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field and minimum of 2 years of professional experience in project management
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field and minimum of 4 years of professional experience in project management
- 2 to 4 years of experience and strong knowledge of project cycle management and result-based management (RBM) is required.
- Knowledge of civil protection and Disaster Risk Management is required.
- Knowledge of the national planning and budgeting process in Angola is an asset.
- Ability to effectively coordinate multi-stakeholder project is required.
- Experience in knowledge management and communication for development is required.
- Strong drafting, presentation and reporting skills.
- Computer literacy, in particular with Microsoft Office products and project management software.
- Good working knowledge of English, both written and verbal
- Fluency in Portuguese, both written and verbal
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year, renewable subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance