OVERVIEW OF CTG
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
As a component of United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS), our client provides mine clearance capacity that includes multi-tasking teams (MTTs), manual demining teams (MDTs) and Community Liaison Officers (CLOs) deployed across 40 districts in 4 Federal Member States, who collectively contribute to AMISOM’s planning and mobility operations while reducing the threats from explosive hazards in the community. The project focused its delivery on the affected communities and worked alongside the government’s regulatory authority in mine action, the Somalia Explosive Management Authority (SEMA). To achieve its objectives, the project also collaborated with other mine action key stakeholders in Somalia. The project is designed to work through the assessed budget (AB) contribution from DPKO.
- Improve livelihoods and a safer environment by mitigating the threats of explosive hazards
- Improve knowledge where communities are aware about threats caused by explosive hazards
- Build synergies and harmonize the approach through the following: data, analytics, and information management support
Evaluation Purpose and Target Audience
- The consultant shall work under the direct line management of the Stabilisation Project Manager with strong liaison with Programme Manager M&E and Senior Information Management Officer. The consultant will also work with various technical leads at field level during data collection and collation.
- To provide evidence-based information on the achievements and impacts (both intended and unintended) of the Stabilisation Project on local communities and capacity of local governance structures and institutions in targeted areas.
- To provide evidence that will help to inform learning and improvement of future interventions.
- To objectively analyze attribution and value judgements of the short and long-term impact of the Project’s activities, as well as ascertain the magnitude of the impact.
- Finally, clearly highlight and summarize recommendations and key lessons learnt for incremental learning and shaping of future programming.
This evaluation should answer key questions under each evaluation criteria including additional questions that will come out during and/or after the literature review and inception report preparation by the evaluator. The sub-sections below detail the evaluation criteria to be covered by this evaluation exercise.
Coverage and Coherence
This evaluation will focus on Client Stabilisation Project activities that were implemented between June 2017 and June 2019 i.e. the evaluation will cover two project cycles as specified above.
Delivery and Performance:
Evaluation Approach and Methodology
Appropriate evaluation approaches and methodologies should be proposed by the consultant(s) and will be reviewed and approved by our client in Somalia. The selected approaches should enable an objective assessment and measurement of key impact measures as per the criteria. The methodologies should also include both qualitative and quantitative data collection methods.
Literature review: The evaluation will commence with a consultative meeting between the consultant(s) and our client Project Manager, Head of Programme, Programme Director and PMO team to build consensus on perceptions on the backdrop of specific terms of reference expectations.
Formulation of Evaluation Framework & Tools, and Inception Report: The results of the literature review will be included into the inception report and entail a review and analysis of the projects’ outcomes and impact statements –as stated in project documents, implied therein or elaborated by key project personnel.
Sampling: The consultant should come up with a statistically significant and defensible sample size considering 95% confidence bends or 5% margin of error and considering the diverse outputs in the project. The sampling criteria and sample size will be reviewed and approved by our client PMO.
Data analysis: The consultancy should design and clearly explain the data analysis plan in the inception report which should be appropriate to the type of data to be collected as well as being scientifically sound. Both quantitative and qualitative data analysis methods should be based on sound and well-known methodologies.
Security Plan: Each bid should have a comprehensive and an acceptable security plan which will be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Data Collection Team: The consultant(s) have an option of using their own data collection teams if they already exist on the ground especially for consulting firms or Enumerators may be selected by our client in Somalia BUT will be trained and supervised by the Consultant(s).
Data collection must be done in locations in South Central Somalia and the consultant will sample sectors and locations for data collection with the liberated districts (AMISOM’s area of operation).
- Inception Report: An inception report must be submitted to and reviewed by our client, before field activities commence, covering a detailed work plan, proposed evaluation plan or methodology and data collection tools.
- Draft Report/Debriefing and presentation of findings: The consultant will de-brief client management on evaluation findings through formal meeting and a PowerPoint presentation clearly highlighting work done and the next steps.
- Final report submission including all datasets, transcripts, notes and Do files: Taking into consideration comments raised in writing and during a presentation session, the Lead Consultant will submit a final report in an electronic form to our client in Somalia at the agreed timeline for approval and final payment.
To be advised
This role does not have team management responsibility.
§ Bachelor's degree in in Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security Development Studies, Monitoring and Evaluation, Project Management and Development, or related field with 7 (seven) years of relevant experience; and/or Master's degree in in Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security Development Studies, Monitoring and Evaluation, Project Management and Development, or related field with 5 (five) years of relevant experience;.
§ Minimum of 5 years of demonstrable relevant Project Management experience and/or minimum of 5 years of demonstrable relevant Information analysis experience.
§ Minimum of 1 year of experience in Africa (essential).
§ Fluency in English is essential.
• Advanced university degree (Masters’ Degree or equivalent) in in Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security Development Studies, Monitoring and Evaluation, Project Management and Development, or related field with 5 (Five) years of relevant experience; OR
• A first-level university degree (bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in in Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security Development Studies, Monitoring and Evaluation, Project Management and Development, or related field with 7 (seven) years of relevant experience;
Experience and Proposal Submission:
Proposals for this assignment will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
• Proposed qualifications and experience – relevant qualifications and experience in Mine Action and familiarity with Somalia is a MUST
• Technical and Financial proposal’s ability to answer the evaluation questions based on sound methodology, tools and cost efficiency.
• Compliance of the whole application to bid requirements.
• Record of accomplishment and experience in doing similar evaluations in same locations please include profile of applicants -corporate or individual including one sample of previous work done.
• Fluency in English is required, with proficiency in technical writing.
Strategic Perspective: Develops & implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term & externally in order to positively shape the organisation. Anticipates & perceives the impact & implications of future decisions & activities on other parts of the organisation.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self &/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
Leading Self & Others: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect, responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
Agility: Open to change & flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences & modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Other relevant information:
To be advised