- Institutional strengthening;
- Museum development;
- Handicrafts and creative industries development.
Under the direct supervision of (UNDP) Programme Analyst and (NCCAL) and in close coordination & collaboration with UNESCO (Regional Office, Qatar) and GSSCPD plus other relevant national institutions, the Project Coordinator will assume the following tasks in line with UNDP rules and regulations:
Planning, implementation and monitoring:
Responsible for the support to the day-to-day implementation of the project starting with the preparation of the annual work plans and ensuring their timely implementation:
- In coordination with UNDP, oversees the technical support to (NCCAL) and other relevant national institutions for the effective implementation of the project planned activities:
- Assist in close coordination with UNESCO for the timely implementation of technical support;
- Support in building solid relationships with key national partners supported by the project;
- Assist in a systematic and effective analysis, monitoring and evaluation, including the preparation and participation in Project Board and/or other related meetings;
- Assist in monitoring the projects risks initially identified, submit new risks to the project board for consideration, provide advice on mitigation strategies if required and update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log;
- Prepare all required project reports (quarterly, annual, and other specific requested reports) in close coordination with UNESCO;
- Prepare all required documentation for the project board meetings;
- Prepare for the project’s evaluation and;
- Assist in the development of the projects exit strategy plan and lessons learned.
Financial and Administrative management of the project:
- Prepare and implement the annual project budget and the recruitment and procurement plan;
- Closely coordinate with UNESCO Technical Advisor for the recruitment and selection of project consultants;
- Perform regular financial reporting to the project board on quarterly and annual basis;
- Assist the implementing partner in fulfilling the responsibilities of the project and budget monitoring, using best practices;
- Provide support in monitoring financial resources and accounting to ensure the accuracy and reliability of financial reports of the project and that all financial and budgetary processes are in accordance with UNDP standards and procedures and assist in submitting financial reports to UNDP on a quarterly basis;
Capacity building and Knowledge sharing:
- Provide support in assessing the capacity development needs and priorities, with special focus on improving in depth knowledge of cultural related services.
- Coordinate and support the implementation of capacity building plans;
- Facilitate knowledge sharing activities within and between (NCCAL) and other relevant counterparts;
- Ensure support in the gender mainstreaming approach in all the work requirements and ensure gender sensitivity of all the deliverables which would be based on a gender analysis;
- Benefit from best practices and lessons learned that are available regionally and globally for the benefit of the project and the national counterparts and ensure the identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the project;
Follow up, coordination:
- Coordinate all tasks between UNDP, UNESCO and the implementing partner pertaining to the project activities with other national institutions.
- Perform stakeholders’ analysis as required
- Coordinate and follow up with relevant stakeholders to guarantee the synergy of all administrative processes relevant to the project;
- Coordinate and follow up locally and with UNESCO office relevant to the project’s activities;
- Follow-up the implementation of communication and advocacy plans;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s and project mandates.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across Programme activities to identify critical points of integration.
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental project management and cultural heritage concepts and principles relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Bachelors in Social Science, Public Administration or other job-related disciplines.
- Prince 2 certification is desirable but not a requirement.
- 4 years minimum relevant professional Project Management experience preferably on similar projects;
- Previous experience in implementing cultural heritage or related projects would be an asset;
- Experience in building partnerships in project implementation and building teams among stakeholders including government officials, scientific institutions, NGOs and private sector;
- Experience in performing capacity building and training needs assessments, evaluations, monitoring, tracking progress in project implementation and knowledge management.
- Previous experience in the UN system and cooperation is a strong asset.
- Excellent computer literacy (MS Office; Windows XP, Internet); excellent communications, report writing and analytical skills.
- Written and oral proficiency in both English and Arabic are required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment. The priority will be given to Kuwaiti nationals or those who have a legal residency/work permit in the country.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension