Sudan is a country in transition with diverse development issues and challenges requiring a comprehensive stabilization strategy, with each area requiring customized interventions for stabilization and development. While Sudan is experiencing transition in political system, it is also fraught with economic challenges coupled with the issues of youth unemployment, displaced populations, migrants, reintegration of formed fighters, and prevention of violent extremism. Protracted and post-conflict displacements pose both humanitarian and development challenges. Resolving these requires a more coherent and effective course to stabilization approach that ends dependency on humanitarian aid and advances human development.
While UNDP continues to work with various stakeholders, it places emphasis on addressing these issues under SDGs, national and strategic plans. With the current crisis, Sudan requires support in promoting local economic development to ensure resilience of communities. Sudan can play a vital role in stabilization of the entire region as it stands as a bridge between Arab and African nations and this assumes more importance at the imminent drawdown of United Nations - African Union Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID).
Aligned with the Government’s development priorities, the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), 2018-2021, and the multi-year humanitarian strategy, the Stabilization Programmes involve highly functional partnership models with line ministries, civil society, development partners, academia, and private sector. UNDP supports peace efforts to stabilize communities and strengthen social cohesion in at least 10 states. It will continue to support and advocate for dividends of peace, promote civic engagement, and work on reintegration component of the disarmament, demobilization and reintegration (DDR) process for ex-combatants in Darfur and in the border states of the south, with an equal focus on host communities.
In principle, the incumbent will coordinate five major projects targeting stabilization, humanitarian development peace nexus, prevention of violent extremism, DDR, and migration.
The objective of the Stabilization Programme, which is funded by diverse donors and implemented by UNDP in partnership with national stakeholders and other UN agencies, is to promote social and economic resilience of local communities, especially youth, women and displaced population, through improved access to livelihood, vocational training and business skills to address gaps in business and professional employment skills of youth across various categories like unemployed, displaced, returnees, ex-combatants, migrants, people having potential to join violent extremism. In doing so, the projects aim to increase the space for reconciliation, confidence building, social cohesion, women empowerment and natural resource management.
The projects aim to achieve goal by reaching targets across the following objectives:
- Promoting humanitarian - development - peace nexus in all over Sudan including Darfur, Southern States and Eastern Sudan
- Promote inclusive development in line with the UNDP strategic plan to address diverse issues under SDGs with focus on displaced, migrants and ex-fighters
- Improve access to sustainable livelihoods and promote local economic development
- Enhance dialogue across various stakeholders and target groups to promote reconciliation and peaceful co-existence
- Enhance participation of women in socio-economic spheres
- Enhance participation of private sector and promote value chain development
- The overall objective of the projects is to stabilize communities and promote development by promoting transition from humanitarian to development arenas.
Under the direct supervision of Stabilization Programme Manager, Project Coordinator translates the strategic direction to actual implementation of its diverse components at the local level across Sudan. He/she liaises with the country office’s senior management on development and implementation of the Programme, cost effectiveness and responses to emerging complex challenges in managing the Programme.
He/she leads and supervises the Programme staff working in different geographic areas of responsibility of the Programme ensuring cross-unit cooperation and coordination. He/she works closely with internal and external counterparts, including government counterparts, development partners, civil society, private sector, etc. to successfully deliver UNDP Programmes. He/she ensures a client-oriented approach and consistency with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Summary of Key Functions:
- Programme leadership and management.
- Planning and coordination
- Programme implementation: Community security and stabilization
- Foster partnership building and donor liaison
- Work to ensure Stabilization Programme supports the overall local economic development peace processes in Sudan.
- Assist the UNDP Stabilization Programme Manager in the overall management and delivery of the UNDP Mandate on the stabilization initiatives, which will include promotion of humanitarian-development–peace nexus, inclusive local economic development through business development and value chains, prevention of violent extremism, support to local communities to be resilient towards displacement, promote peace and reconciliation, promote dialogue among communities to foster peace, address the issues related to migration through development lens, promote reintegration of IDPs and ex-fighters.
- Lead strategic planning, and day-to-day Programme implementation, and overall coordination from substantive, administrative and financial aspects of the Programme across different geographical areas of Sudan.
- Guide the efforts and contributions of consultants, government counterparts towards the achievement of Programme objectives
- Provide programmatic vision and operational guidance, manage and supervise the staff and field operations across the country
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation processes are in place to measure the achievements in all phases of the Programme as per UNDP procedures
- Coordinate public information and sensitization strategy for the Programme
- Contribute on resource mobilization and ensure coordination with development partners including private sector for stabilization initiatives.
2. Planning and Coordination of stabilization Programme focusing on achievement
of the following results:
- Work to ensure that there is close cooperation and collaboration with national stakeholders and other implementing partners, such as other UN entities, international organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and the donor community;
- Develop project concepts and proposals for future phases of community security and stabilization Programmes and related topics jointly with the Country Office;
- Build partnerships with other UN Agencies, NGO and Government to support the preparation and implementation of state capacity development and reintegration plans;
- Support various ministries and commissions of Government dealing with the subjects of local economic development, displacement, migration, reintegration and prevention of violent extremism.
- Identify entry points for potential partnerships and complementarities with other relevant players including Government Ministries and Commissions, Private Sector, NGOs, UNAMID, UN Agencies, etc. to support capacity building activities;
- Ensure that “No one is Left Behind” while operationalizing development interventions and maximizing development by including all vulnerable sections of communities including unemployed youth, women, displaced population, migrants, people with potential to join violent extremism, ex-fighters by engaging government counterparts, development partners, bilateral and multilateral donors, private sector, civil society, UN agencies and local agencies.
- Ensure internal communication and coordination at the Programme level, and effective and proactive communication between relevant CO units both Programme and operations units;
- Ensure private sector is actively engaged in development initiatives;
- Explore the possibility of south-south cooperation initiatives;
- Coordinate and spin innovations towards development interventions;
- Collaborate with other UN agencies, UNAMID, Government, NGOs, and others in building synergies in Programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation
3.Programme implementation: stabilization focusing on achievement of the
- Ensure the development of AWPs and writing up of progress and annual reports of the Programme;
- Ensure that regular updates and reviews of the Programme are done in ATLAS;
- Overall implementation and management of all aspects of the stabilization Programme and its projects across Sudan;
- Oversee the development and coordination of implementation of a comprehensive socio-economic reintegration framework for the members of armed forced and groups taking advantage of existing or planned recovery strategies and plans;
- Provide technical and policy advice and support as needed to Government, Commissions and Programme stakeholders and assist them in the development of strategies and work plans.
4. Foster partnership building and donor liaison focusing on achievement of the
- Contributes to the development of the UNDP Partnership and Resource Mobilization (PRM) strategy, including planning tools to implement the strategy;
- Identify new partnerships and strengthens existing ones at the level through innovative approaches to partnership development;
- Boost ways of increasing the Programme funding base such as engaging in resource mobilization efforts in consultation with local counterparts and following-up with donors on local opportunities.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work;Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
Ability to persuade others to follow;Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction;Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform;Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement;Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
Programme issues and analysis:
Knowledge of Programme issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, including analysis of projects from a stabilization perspective ;Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Programme and Institutional Development
Knowledge of systems for Programming and capacity development and interagency collaboration and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations;Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Management and Leadership:
Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment.;Level 5:Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships;Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Ability to analyze the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans. Use insight to identify target audiences and partners and to inform communication objectives, messages and solutions.Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Ability to manage complex relationships through pathways of knowledge exchange, capacity development, funding relationships and strategic engagement;Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Sustainable Development, Management, Economics, International Development or any other relevant field.
- 7 years of relevant work experience, at least 5 of which involve implementation and management at senior level with proven experience in managing large Programmes, multiple projects and teams in multi-cultural settings.
- Experience in building and maintaining relationships with government institutions and other partners, civil society, private sector and UN agencies in sensitive political environments;
- Demonstrated experience and expertise related to local economic development, livelihoods, reintegration and prevention of violent extremism in development prism;
- Experience in resource mobilization, donor coordination, accountability and multi-donor trust funds;
- Experience in Sudan, Horn of Africa or Arab Region is an asset;
- Experience working in humanitarian, post conflict and development contexts is an asset.
- Proficiency in both oral and written English. Working knowledge of Arabic language desirable
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension