European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) has identified the need to support the newly formed Local Government in building emergency response and disaster risk reduction capacity, thus enhancing urban resilience and strengthening the disaster governance in Nepal.
ECHO, therefore, has sought UNDP’s engagement after the selection process for proposal called through HIP 2019, to implement the project titled “Reducing disaster risks and enhancing emergency response capacities in multi hazard-risk prone urban areas of Nepal”. This project will be implemented in core urban areas of 3 at-risk cities, one each from tarai (Bharatpur), hills (Bhimeshwor) and valley (Lalitpur), that are representatives of other cities across Nepal. The project aims to create a shared understanding on urban disaster risks and evolve mechanisms and measures that aids the communities and municipal governments to address the risks and effectively respond to emergencies, with specific focus on the vulnerable population. The Action aims to enhance understanding of the communities and local authorities of at-risk urban areas and private sector about underlying multi-hazard risks and vulnerabilities, identifies and supports in key areas to undertake system strengthening and demonstrates possible structural and non-structural interventions to enable effective, coordinated emergency response and risk reduction.
The project envisions full ownership and engagement of the municipal governments to upscale, replicate and sustain the mechanisms beyond the project period. It entails engagement with various other stakeholders, including communities, private stakeholder, service providers, experts and other agents working in urban resilience. Since, the project is implemented in three different locations, coherence in project approach has to be ensured with timely monitoring and support required. Further, implementation of the project activities for timely delivery of the committed outputs to the donor, including donor reporting has to be undertaken. Hence, it demands need of a dedicated project coordinator to handle the project, on both technical and administrative process for timely delivery of quality output as committed to ECHO.
Reporting structure and partners:
The Project Coordinator (PC) will report to the National Project Manager (NPM), UNDP/Comprehensive Disaster Risk Management Programme (CDRMP) and work in coordination with the staff of CDRMP. He/ She will be responsible for supporting implementation of the project and work under the overall guidance of the Portfolio Manager (Resilience and Environment Portfolio). PC will also be focal points for maintaining communication and coordination with municipal officials in three respective municipalities, including the local partners and other key stakeholders engaged in the project.
1. Ensure effective coordination at national and local level including with the partners and counterparts of the project.
- In close collaboration with the National Project Manager, contribute to the development of appropriate working relations with national and local stakeholders to build their ownership on relevant aspects of the project.
- In close coordination with the Senior Project Officers leading the components in CDRMP, bring in expertise in related sectors of DRR to build synergy in approach to strengthen processes and outputs.
- Ensure all activities are being planned, implemented and monitored in close coordination with the local government and line agencies, including the target communities and key stakeholders.
- Supervise Municipal Technical Officers in establishing close coordination and synchronization of actions at the field/municipal level.
- Ensure establishing coordination and relation with other humanitarian actors working in the 3 target municipalities and also at district level as and when deemed necessary, to inform about the action objectives, approach, services for the communities to ensure proper and timely coordination and enhance synergy in implementation.
2. Ensure effective management and implementation of the project activities for timely delivery of quality outputs.
- Responsible for the day to day implementation of the project activities, ensuring a proper work plan and budget in place and implemented within set timelines, with coherent and consistent quality, and efficient delivery of all outputs.
- Provide over sight and regular updates, including preparation of approach papers for specific activities, quarterly work plans, action plans and calendar of events, in close coordination with the Admin and Finance, M&E, GESI focal person of CDRMP.
- Identify potential issues and problems related to the activities and prepare a set of recommendations and obtain any support/ advice required for the management, planning and control on planned activities.
- Responsible for operational management of the project and in compliance with the UNDP Rules and Regulations.
- Undertake regular field visits as necessary and ensure coherence in understanding and approach undertaken for implementation of activities in three different municipalities.
- Ensure that the project receives adequate level of visibility and dissemination, through multiple means.
3. Carry out the monitoring and evaluation and reporting responsibilities.
- Prepare M&E framework/ plan of the project in coordination of Senior Project Officer - M&E of CDRMP and ensure its timely and effective implementation
- Monitor regularly and ensure timely and adequate implementation of the project activities, undertake necessary preparatory actions for the planned activities, and liaise with relevant parties.
- Contribute to timely reporting - both internal and external (to the Government and donors) - following UNDP and established procedures.
- Prepare progress reports and required documents to be shared with ECHO, Government, line agencies and other partners.
- Contribute to the development of relevant knowledge products and materials.
4. Provide guidance and support to the project team.
- Provide guidance in liaising with the local stakeholders, preparation of the detailed workplan and adherence to action plans/approaches developed for the project along with engagement of the project staff in community consultation processes.
- Supervise and provide necessary support to the project team: Municipal technical Officers, Project Support officers, Community Development workers in 3 municipalities to execute planned project activities in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues such as vulnerability, gender mainstreaming, social inclusion, empowerment, etc. are part of the project approaches and activities
- Ensure GESI is adequately addressed in the project activities in coordination with GESI focal person of CDRMP/UNDP.
5. Perform any other related task as per the request of NPM-CDRMP and E&R Portfolio Manager and Policy Advisor.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
- Integrates diverse contributions to formulate coherent approaches
- Aligns innovation to service delivery components
- Manages prototype / pilot efforts and seeks feedback
Ability to persuade others to follow
Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to removes barriers
- Creates awareness of substantive opportunities and risks among others
- Navigates complex circumstances thoughtfully and is solution-minded
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
- Coaches team members to appropriately share knowledge across teams
- Addresses conflicts in a timely, sensitive manner; escalates to leadership when appropriate
- Recognizes members of the team for their efforts and successes
- Optimizes individual and team abilities
Communication and Relationship Management
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
- Persuades others to embrace new ideas, even when controversial
- Empathizes with client perspectives and needs and communicates messages with the clients’ experiences in mind
- Creates opportunities for developing new client relationships
Ability to get things done
Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
- Anticipates constraints and identifies solutions
- Expands capacity of team to deliver on time, on target, and within organizational standards
- Ensures high quality of work in terms of both substantive depth and adaptive relevance to client needs
- Accepts responsibility for implementation / team deliverables / client satisfaction consistent with organizational standards
- Exhibits thorough organizational awareness of UNDP’s approach to client service delivery and integrity and accountability
- Exhibits sound judgment and the ability to make reasonable decisions in complex situations
Level 5: Originate * Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Personal learning and development
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas
Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment
- Contributes in knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office
Promoting Organizational learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Ability to provide learning and knowledge sharing opportunities to support continuous development of all project personnel.
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Completion of Master’s Degree in Social Science, Disaster Risk Management, Urban Planning, or any other related fields.
- At least seven years of practical experience in working in development sector
- Experience of working in the area of Disaster Risk Management including in urban contexts
- Good understanding of current DRR policies of the Government of Nepal and familiar with various initiatives at local level through various stakeholders (ministries and local bodies)
- Experience of project management and implementation
- Demonstrated social skills of coordinating with different stakeholders and facilitating discussions.
- Demonstrated skills on preparing quality reports and other knowledge products.
- Experience of working in UN and international agencies will be preferable
- Fluency in English and Nepali at professional level are essential.
- Describe any additional qualifications:
- Good knowledge of computer applications especially MS Office.
- Good understanding of other application for data management and project monitoring
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieve workforce diversity (in terms of minority groups, caste/ethnic groups, persons with disability etc.) and has a policy to have gender balance among staff at all levels. Qualified female candidates and candidates particularly from disadvantaged and socially excluded groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with highest confidentiality.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One Year