Cordaid South Sudan is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. Cordaid South Sudan believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations - the bottom billion.
Cordaid South Sudan has been active in South Sudan for more than 20 years, with a strong focus on civil society capacity-building. Currently it has programs in the area of Emergency Response, DRR, Health, Food Security, Security & Justice, Women Leadership and Investments.
Presently, Cordaid South Sudan is expanding its program in different parts of the country. For that purpose, additional capacity is required. Therefore, Cordaid South Sudan would like to recruit for the position of Project Controller-Health;
Project Controller- Health
Based in Juba with about 20% field travel
The Project Controller-Health reports to the Senior Project Controller-Health, with a functional line to the Program Manager - Health.
Overall Objectives of the position:
Reporting to the Senior Project Controller – Health, the Project Controller-Health will ensure effective an efficient financial and administrative management of the Health Programme budgets. S/he is also responsible for accurate and prompt reporting to donors and liaison with project partners in consultation with the Senior Project Controller-Health.
Responsibilities and Accountability
- Review and verify that all payment requests of costs charged to a grant are budgeted, allocated and properly coded.
- Ensure that all payment request are approved by the Programme Manager-Health or his designee and submitted to the Finance Officer-Treasury within three days from receipt of invoice.
- Ensure that Health Program Grants and Contracts are executed in line with contractual agreements and applicable donor rules and regulations and contractual obligations.
- Ensure compliance to donor standards and Cordaid internal controls to safeguard donors and Cordaid internal resources.
- Make recommendations for revision to internal control measures as and when necessary.
- Prepare and revise quarterly funding requests for the Health Programme as directed by the Senior Project Controller-Health.
- Ensure that field staff understand the chart of accounts and budget codes and use them correctly for allocation and tracking expenditures. Grant Management and Reporting
- Assist the Senior Project Controller-Health in budget preparations, profit and loss statement for new projects by consolidating and submitting relevant information as and when required.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly donor budget and expenditure report and identify and report any deviations or discrepancies to the Senior Project Controller – Health.
- Review reports and supporting documents and ensure that expenses reported in field cashbooks are within the approved monthly cash request expenditure lines. Report any deviations and work with the field Finance/Admin staff to resolved identified problems with the cashbook.
- Participate in monitoring and revision of program budgets.
- Review partners periodic financial reports to ensure consistency with budget and contractual agreement. Report any deviations and work with the partner to resolve identified discrepancies. 6 Participate in closeout activities of project grants as and when required.
Administrative responsibilities and accountability
- Ensure that the financial, administrative and documentation processes meet audit and donor requirements, and maintain key related documentation for grants/contracts, MOUs, Teaming Agreements, and other relevant documents for audit preparation.
- Participate in the implementation of audit recommendations to ensure all issues directly related to the Health Programme are resolved on time.
- Ensure that field staff with dotted reporting lines are sufficiently trained on standard financial/donor compliance and enforce compliance with Country Office standard procedures.
- Conduct field visits and provide and provide finance and administrative support to the field teams Provide coaching and mentoring to field teams on identified knowledge and skill gaps during field visits.
- Maintain grant files with relevant records (hard & electronic copies) including but not limited to submitted proposal, approved budget, grant agreement, periodic reports (financial & narrative), donor reviews, audits reports plus donor communications.
- In collaboration with the Logistics and Procurement Manager, ensure that all administrative and procurement procedures are aligned with Cordaid’s and donor’s requirements.
- Attend any other duties as directed and instructed by the Line Manager but consistent with your job responsibilities.
Qualifications and skills
- Advanced degree in Accounting and/or Finance and Management.
- Minimum of 5 years post-qualification work experience in a similar position
- Proven understanding of various donor regulations and ability to manage multi-million dollars projects.
- Strong skills in working with expenses, accounting and ability to reconcile accounts.
- Extensive hands on experience using accounting systems such as Pastel, SAGE, Sun systems and Microsoft Dynamics.
- Working knowledge of office equipment and computer hardware with basic trouble shooting skills
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to resolve complex problems with multiple variables.