The overall objective and expected outcome of the Advanced Cross-river Capacities for Trade Project (AdTrade), financed by Swedish Government and implemented by UNDP, is to secure that men and women on both banks of the Nistru River have better livelihoods and living conditions, due to an improved cross-river cooperation to access the opportunities offered by Moldova’s external trade arrangements, contributing to an environment of trust and cooperation across both banks.
The proposed initiative will facilitate cross-river cooperation and will merge companies’ effort to export, will expand access of Transnistria enterprises (particularly SMEs) to trade mechanisms available on the right bank, but also to tailored support which will build necessary knowledge and skills, in-line with specific needs of current and future exporters from the region.
The above shall be achieved by allowing left bank private sector to access opportunities offered by the DCFTA arrangements, contributing to an environment of trust and cooperation across the river. The project envisages provision of methodological and practical assistance in establishing long-term trade links and promotion of exports, by supporting existing companies or by launching new businesses, allowing for permanent jobs to be created, especially for women and vulnerable groups (which include youth, elderly people, ethnic groups, minorities, persons with disabilities, persons with a limited lifespan, other).
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the incumbent contributes to an effective and efficient implementation of economic development projects through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Associate applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Associate works in close collaboration with the Project team for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Associate in close cooperation with the project team, under the direct guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, will ensure the provision of financial and administrative services of the highest quality and standards to the project team, UNDP Country office, as well as national counterparts and clients. More specifically:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Coordinate and prepare documents necessary for the launch of procurement processes and issue contracts;
- Supervise other support staff (Driver) and coordinate short-term consultants.
- Assume overall responsibility for the coordination of administrative matters;
- Provide advice to the team on financial and administrative issues;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Upon request, prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Maintain accurate budget reporting in both UNDP and EU standard templates;
- Prepare other recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget/financial preparations and audit;
- Respond to queries from the UNDP and EU Delegation with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks as required;
- In accordance with the Work Plan coordinate and contribute to the procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Prepare the procurement plans for the projects and monitoring of their implementation
- Create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Coordinate equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various programme sites;
- Prepare the procurement plans for the project and monitor their implementation;
- Organize procurement processes, including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, development of bidding documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of conditions of contracts, in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Organize procurement processes with respect to individual consultancy services (ICs, RLAs), coordinate receipt of applications and financial proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Promote and monitor the transparency of the procurement and contractual processes, and the use of international best practices; ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP;
- Draft contracts for goods and services for management approval;
- Effective management, maintenance of evidences and monitoring of awards and contracts with project implementing partners, consulting organizations, contractors, etc.;
- Maintain records on national consultants, services providers and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, etc.) in accordance with corporate policies and procedures;
- Monitor supplier’s performance with respect to the quality and timely delivery of goods and services;
- Create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Advanced Capacities for Cross-River Trade. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions;
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting;
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems;
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional for a;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs;
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high-quality standard throughout;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively;
- University Degree in economics, finance, accounting, law, public administration or other related field.
- At least seven years of complex experience in administrative work, accounting/finance, economics, or other substantive area is required;
- At least four years of previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO is compulsory.
- Previous experience with EC/UNDP is a very strong advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian;
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
Contract Duration: till 31 December 2020