The Government of The Sudan has adopted Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals at the 70th Session of the United Nations General Assembly on 25 September 2015. Whilst data sources and means of data collection remain a crucial element in achieving the global agenda by 2013, data quality in terms of timeliness and accuracy level contribute directly to not only the effective implementation, but also monitoring progress made towards achievements of SDGs targets.
While baseline data is not available for several targets, the SDGs require the generation of new data and development of indicators. Therefore, the 2030 Agenda called for the revolution of data by establishing the Global Indicator Framework (GIF) to be developed by the Inter Agency Expert Group. The GIF provides global governance structure for SDGs indicators and have been adopted by the statistical Commission.
In tandem with global movement to data revolution, Sudan has prepared its first VNR which called for the development of a national indicators' framework for the SDGs. The GIF provides overarching structure that will guide the effort of domesticating Indicators. The National Indicator Frame work will however observe characteristics of national statistics system and circumstances. This will offer immense opportunity for full development of NIF, where national data and statistics would provide the base for implementation and monitoring of the SDGs at the national level as well as contributing to national reporting at regional and global levels. There is substantial need to ensure that data and statistics are properly managed and are produced on time and with high quality to support ownership of Agenda 2030. Accurate and timely data and statistics leads to strengthen evidence-based planning, monitoring of progress on implementation of SDGs and without its ownership of Agenda 2030 will be jeopardized.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Officer and Team Leader for Sustainable Livelihood Unit, the incumbent works in close collaboration with the programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff, as well as operations colleagues within the UNDP Sudan Country Office. He/she supports a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the team.
Functions / Key Results Expected:
Summary of key functions:
1. Ensure effective and efficient project management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Liaise with Programme officer in identifying output targets, baseline and indicators for the SDGs Project and ensure its alignment with ongoing project document.
- Undertake elaborations of project activity cost using parametric estimation and engage with programme officer in determining financial resource needs and allocation of cost sharing contributionfor the SDGs project.
- Liase with programme officer in identification of key performance quality measures, updates of issues log as well as update of risk log in ATLAS
- Liaise with Programme office in preparation of AWPs for SDGs Project; identification of projects activities and associated actions; work in determination of anticipated activity results and timeliness and ensure the endorsement of AWP by all approving authorities.
- Undertake operationalization of project budget in ATLAS; determine of relevant accounts codes and applicable Chart of Accounts.
- Follow up on the implementation of project budgets, AWP and monitor project delivery against ousted performance indicators and quality measures.
- Work in consultation with Programme officer in assessing of proposal feasibility in terms of consistency and cost effectiveness, and work with national partners in fine tuning implementation strategy.
- Follow up with finalization of engagement plans for national partners; preparing relevant institutional contracts such LOAs, RPAs and MCGAs and ensure endorsement by both parities
- In consultation with Programme Officer, identify and rectify any misalignment from programmatic perspective any financial discrepancies.
2. Effective administration and financial control in the office, budgeting and assets management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed.
- Ensures proper control of the supporting documents for the payments jointly with the Programme Officer and Finance Department.
- Prepare for and mange information for annual audit of the project.
- Undertake full responsibilities for SDGs project compliance to HACT framework.
3. Effective procurement management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Engage with Programme officer in identification of procurement needs for SDGs project being services or goods; assist Programme officer in drafting TORs and preparation of Statement of work / Specification documents.
- Take responsibility of integrating projects procurement plans in master unit plan. Liase with procurements to ensure all procurements needs reflected in PROMPT system.
- Take lead in procurement including preparing related documents and submissions to relvenet unit.
- Liaise with Programme officer in contract management, contribute to documentaions and evaluation of deliverables and fulfilment of financial commitment related to it.
4. Contribute substantively to knowledge building and sharing; focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure implementation of result based mangement strategies of the project as specified in the project document.
- Provide regular technical support and on-the-job training to national Partner to specific programmatic and financial management requires to ensure compliance and accountability for results and resources.
- Prepare quality report for the SDGs project on quarterly and annual basis
- Engage with National Partner in producing knowledge materials and dissemination of success stories.
5. Contribute to the partnership buildings and synergies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in assessing needs of national partners and in reinforcing capacities for effective Project implementation.
- Respond to other specific assignments as may be determined by Programme Officer and SLU team Leader.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Good communication skill both in writing and oral including networking and interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability to persuade and influence others to cooperate.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Proven ability to build strong relations with partners, clients for positive feedback;
- Ability to undertake and apply gender analysis to ensure gender equitable solutions
- Build, coordinate and advise on strategic and programmatic partnership
- Facilitate the engagement of major stakeholders or groups in environment and sustainable development decision making, their access to and sharing of information for effective compliance.
Communication and Outreach
Advise on the development and management of the Facility’s communication strategy, outreach campaigns and activities to raise the Facility’s profile at the national and international levels.
- Demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively and demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Willing to undertake other assignments as provided by the Head of the Facility
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation,
- Gathers relevant information before deciding,
- Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them,
- Proposes a course of action based on all available information,
- Checks assumptions against facts
- Secondary education with specialized certification in Business Administration, Social Sciences or any other related fields would desirable
- A first level university degree in Business Administration Social Sciences or any other related fields would desirable.
- Minimum 7 years with Secondary education, or 4 years with bachelor’s degree of relevant experience in providing management support in public health programs;
- Sound knowledge of SDGs framework coupled with good experience and understanding of Global context and Sudan’s own national strategies to implement SDGs in Sudan.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in working with government counterparts and ability to travel within Sudan;
- Sound knowledge of the UNDP Programme and financial procedures will be an asset;
Fluency in both written and spoken English and Arabic.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension