In partnership with Norway and Government of South Sudan, UNDP through the Governance & Economic Management Support (GEMS) Project aims to contribute towards setting the country on a pathway to sustainable peace, development and improved well-being for citizens through: a) strengthening capacity of 38 (12 economic, 22 governance and 4 service) key national institutions to ensure effective and accountable implementation of the R-ARCSS; and b) bolstering key economic governance and accountability functions with attention to Chapter I to IV, which furthers key governance and economic management reforms. The project builds on the experiences and successes of Phases I & II of the Republic of South Sudan/Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (RSS/IGAD) Regional Initiative for Capacity Enhancement in South Sudan Project (2010-2019). The GEMS project also complements ongoing capacity building initiatives implemented at the sub-national level within the Partnership for Recovery and Resilience framework with support from other development partners.
UNDP South Sudan now seeks a Project Analyst - Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) to support implementation of results-based monitoring and evaluation systems, policies and strategies for the GEMS Project; undertake quality assurance of project management processes and facilitate knowledge building and management. The GEMS Project Analyst- M&E will be part of the UNDP South Sudan M&E cluster composed of M&E Officers and Partnership Management Support Unit (PMSU) Team Leader to enhance UNDP South Sudan’s accountability and oversight.
The Project Analyst- M&E work under the overall guidance of the Deputy Resident Representative (Head of Programmes), reporting directly to the GEMS Project Manager and PMSU Team Leader and work in close collaboration with other GEMS project, PMSU staff, programme and project teams, strategic advisory and operations units. She/he will also work with programme/project partners on evaluations and other relevant programme assurance activities.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of PMSU Team Leader and GEMS Project Manager, or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the Project Analyst - M&E will perform the following tasks:
Implementation of M&E systems, policies and strategies:
- Promote effective application of results-based management tools in the GEMS project cycle.
- Support the development and approval of new project documents and annual workplans for the GEMS project, ensuring adoption of plausible theories of change and logical frameworks
- Lead in the design and implementation of GEMS project’s M&E strategies, frameworks and plans with defined indicators to facilitate monitoring and evaluation.
- Based on the GEMS project M&E plan, develop methodologies and tools to collect data on project indicators to assess; a) whether the project is on track to achieve intended results; b) project’s contribution towards country programme outcomes; c) lessons learned, best practices to inform project management.
- Lead implementation of the project evaluation plan in line with UNDP policies and guidelines and donor expectations.
- Provide technical inputs to progress reports (quarterly, annual and donor), donor briefs, results oriented annual reports
- and other accountability reports, ensuring adherence to and compliance with project design documents and templates.
- Support the conduct of conflict sensitivity and gender assessments to strengthen the project’ conflict and gender sensitive programming.
Support quality assurance
- Provide quality assurance support on partner agreements, project reports and office publications.
- Advise project staff and implementing partners on control systems and ensure general operational compliance with UNDP rules, regulations and policies.
Facilitate knowledge-building and management
- Ensure that project lessons learned, and best practices are captured, documented and periodically shared to inform project management.
- Initiate innovative ways of project data management in line with country programme document and project indicators and track the changes in order to support evidence-based planning, implementation, reporting and learning.
- Maintain regular communication and coordination with relevant partners, including government, think tanks, civil society, UN agencies, to ensure M&E activities are conducted in a timely manner
- Capacity building of UNDP and partners’ staff in RBM, &E and reporting.
- Carry out other related duties as required by the PMSU Team Leader and the GEMS Project Manager
Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication –Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgment
Master's degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Development Studies, Economics, International Relations, Public Administration or related field
- Minimum five years working experience, preferably in a multi-cultural environment. At least two years should have been spent performing design, monitoring, evaluation of development projects responsibilities
- Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for data analysis
- Expert knowledge in results-based management and working with International Organizations is highly desirable.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required; Knowledge of Arabic language is an asset but not a requirement
Application Procedure :
Kindly note that this vacancy announcement is for qualified South Sudanese nationals only
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.undp.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNDP Personal History Form. Please note that UNDP only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through http://jobs.undp.org will be considered and applications received after closing date will not be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNDP South Sudan vacancies, only applicants short-listed for written test and interview will be contacted.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension