- Manage the realization of forestry projects outputs through day-to-day follow up and provision required technical supports for the implementation of project activities;
- Provide the required support for the recruitment of key staff for the forestry projects;
- Plan the activities of the programmes and monitor progress against the initial plan;
- Support the work of external consultants, including operational arrangements, meetings, review the reports and work plans of the forestry projects;
- Monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Prepare the AWP for the following year (s) and ensure the implementation of the projects activities accordingly;
- Manage and monitor the project risks and update their status as initially identified in the Programmes;
- Prepare t quarterly and annual financial and substantive progress Reports of each project and submit the reports to MEFCC, MoFEC and UNDP;
- Manage the recruitment and supervision of technical and training expertise as required for implementation of the Projects;
- Coordinate the Project teams in carrying out their duties through ensuring efficient and effective resource utilization;
- Serve as secretary of Projects Steering Committee and implement the decision and guidance of the SC on the implementation of the project;
- Familiarize the FSDP of Ethiopia and its core pillars, including priorities; to the wider public and guide mainstreaming of the project to regional States.
- Map relevant stakeholders in the government and non-government segment;
- Analyze their potential contribution to the existing and future project implementation;
- Support, the establishment of partnership and coordinate key stakeholders (government, donors, private sector and communities);
- Support the organization of Donor Fora to mobilize resource for the implementation of the NFSDP. Coordinate and facilitate experience sharing and scaling-up best practices;
- Work closely with regions and project coordination offices at Woreda level for effective implementation of the projects;
- Organizing high level engagements and dialogues with Regional and Federal government and non-government institutions;
- Identifies and supports the realization of synergetic initiatives and/or contribution from various stakeholders, which would add value and maximize impacts;
- Review and provide assurance on the work of consultants and organize operational arrangements, meetings and review the reports.
- Support the process of defining critical capacity gaps in training and development institutions of the forestry sector;
- Facilitate identification of priority trainings in the extension system and at higher level for effective and early results;
- Support the design of curricula to manage short-term training to be provided through project portfolios;
- Liaise with local and international training institutions to effectively deliver the skill-training in the forest sector;
- Support other capacity building efforts as required.
- Share knowledge on the forest sector projects by documenting lessons learnt and best practices from the implementation of the current project portfolios;
- Support the development of knowledge-based tools; including policy briefs, strategies, guidelines, etc.;
- Identify and obtain any information and advice required for the management, planning and control of the project administration;
- Supporting key analysis of project delivery using field data and reports, as well as identifying and resolving implementation challenges.
- Master's degree in Forestry, Environment, natural resources and related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the field of forestry;
- Extensive familiarity in Ethiopian forestry, climate change, and agriculture topics, including the ability to bring global benchmarks and innovations to the Ethiopian forest sector;
- Extensive experience within the Ethiopian public sector, including the areas of forestry training, research and development;
- Proven experience in leadership and strategic advice in government sector;
- Proven experience on project coordination and operation in forest sector development;
- Experience in establishing multiple partnerships and networks at strategic and operational level;
- Relevant working experience with UN agencies is an added advantage;
- Strong interpersonal communication, facilitation and coordination skills.
- Proven record of experiences in forestry training and development;
- Reputable research and publication record in the area of Forestry;
- Well proven analytical, advocacy and writing skills.
- English. Other official language of the UN will be desirable.
- Non-Smoking environment .
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension