The key results have an impact on the overall success of the country programme and reaching UNDAF/ CPD goals. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social, environmental and disaster management, and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the Energy, Sustainable Development and Resilience thematic area.
- Support implementation of corporate strategic initiatives such as HACT and other reporting obligations.
- Reflecting a cross cutting programme approach the incumbent will contribute to the promotion and observation of the UNDP Gender Equality Strategy 2014-2017 particularly with regard to the mainstreaming of HIV and gender equality in all programmes and projects under her/his management.
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievements of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the SDR area, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the Executing Agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Initiation of projects, presentation of the projects to LPAC, entering projects into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreements; determination of required revisions, coordination of the mandatory and budgetary re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through reviews. Participates in recruitment and procurement processes for projects.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NIM projects.
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports
- Development of partnerships with UN agencies, GEF, Montreal Protocol, IFIs, Government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in Environment thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donor priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office efforts in resource mobilization.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Coordination of development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
- 5.Effective contribution to the Delivering as One initiative and provision of substantive inputs to the UN Energy, Sustainable Development and Resilience Component Coordinating Group:
- Effective participation in the UN Energy, Sustainable Development and Resilience Theme Group and provision of substantive inputs to the Theme Group's work.
- Identification of joint interventions programming in the Environment areas
- Support to ongoing M&E processes within the framework of DaO
- Collaborative preparation and/or revision of CCA, UNDAF, CPD and other documents.
- Contribute in the working sessions of the UN Thematic Groups (TG) and serves as the secretariat of the TG as necessary.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices from programmes
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Performs analysis of the political and development situation and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
- Leads the formulation of project proposals
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings and seeks to implement DaO initiatives
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation, empowerment, and innovative thinking
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- In collaboration with the MSU and analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate promotional materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspectives
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting an enabling environment for open communication
- Communication skills
- Resource mobilization skills
- Management skills incl. fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Master’s Degree on Economics, Public Administration, Natural Resources Planning/Management, Environmental Science, or any related field.
- A combination of academic backgrounds in Economics and Natural Resources Management would be an asset.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services on sustainable growth and natural resources management. Exposure to Poverty Alleviation, Youth/Women Employment, Strengthening and protection of Vulnerable Groups and/or Risk Management projects and programme will be deemed a comparative advantage. Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills and should also be culturally and politically sensitive in the work with counterparts and be able to work at all levels. Research, analytical and negotiation skills are required
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages such as (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and web based management systems is essential
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension