Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Programme Finance Associate provides support services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. He/she ensures effective delivery of the CO performance by entering and managing data and supporting Government Partners in programme implementation and capacity development consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Finance Associate works in close collaboration with operations, programme and project staff in the CO and UNDP HQs as required for resolving complex programme finance-related issues and exchange of information. The Programme Finance Associate is a member of Programme Management Support Unit (PMSU) and can be a member of different teams within operations and programme clusters in the office as required.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to Programme/project planning, monitoring and analysis
- Financial Management, Resource Planning and Analysis
- Facilitate the conduct of audits, HACT compliance and evaluations
- Support to Operations Unit
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Support to Programme/project planning, monitoring and analysis focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure that agreements, project documents, MoUs are in line with UNDP corporate standards and requirements
- Clearing all new program agreements before they are signed by DRR or the RR
- Review and clearance of budget revisions, NIM Advances and Financial reports in line with established office procedures/business process.
- Review of NIM Advance Ageing Reports and notify relevant program officers regarding overdue unretired balances.
- Implementation of control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budget preparation and modifications, budget vs ASL, follow up to ensure fund availability at fund level (cash limits & ASLs).
- Track approval processes for project documents
- Track budget approval processes, requests for advance and sending to KK in ATLAS
- Keep up to date with changes in UNDP programming; project budgeting and accounting (IPSAS).
- Provide support to UNDP and project staff on project budgeting / accounting rules and procedures.
- Assist in the formulation of the Results Based Budgeting for Development projects.
- Ensure project annual work plans in Atlas are in accordance with budgets prior to committing CO resources (send to KK function).
- Supports the DRR in ensuring effective management of CO Atlas Project Tree and exercising oversight in ensuring project tree is in compliance with the corporate standard for project tree management in Atlas
- Serve as custodian of Cost Sharing Agreements, Trust Funds and Thematic Trust Funds;
- Create schedule of payments for all cost sharing and trust fund agreements concluded and advise UNDP contribution unit for applications and Finance unit for follow-up;
- Serve as custodian and adviser of UNDP regulations and procedures about operational policies pertaining to development project/programme(POPP) by ensuring the appropriate use of operational agreements and related legal implications concerning national and direct execution (NIM/DEX);
2. Provides Financial Management, Resource Planning and Analysis focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Ensure proper set up of project budgets to account for GMS components
- Take part in project formulation to ensure appropriate cost recovery mechanisms are in place
- Monitoring project expenditures
- Provide regular monthly report on programme expenditures in relation to the Resource Planning Framework
- Assist the Programme Specialists, track contributions of cost sharing partners and also in providing timely financial reports to partners
- Provides Programme Specialists with key financial data at regular intervals to facilitate early identification of problem areas and suggests remedial actions.
- Conduct field visits to implementing partners as part of follow up to project implementation
- General monitoring, evaluation and reporting of programme/project implementation to ensure compliance with corporate programme/project performance standards (POPP).
- Ensures sound Programme finance management through tracking delivery, monitoring the updates and timely capturing of expenditures.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed; transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Ensure proper setting up of Atlas Awards for pipeline projects
- Periodically review RBA Business Intelligence Dashboard and advise DRR on areas that require immediate action
3.Provides support for the conduct of CO NIM Audits and evaluations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Plan and coordinate the annual NIM audit exercise in line with guidelines issued by the Office of Audit and Investigations (OAI).
- Document lessons learnt from NIM Audits and facilitate the generation of an audit recommendations implementation plan
- Ensure timely reporting to HQ on NIM audit completion and status of audit implementation
- Follow up with Program Officers to track implementation of recommendations and update of Audit Action Plan.
- Coordinate annual HACT planning and the execution of spot checks and programming visits, ensuring timely adjustment of IP rating as needed.
4. Support CO Operations Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- To provide support to the Operations Unit in ensuring that the Finance Quality Dashboard, Balance Scorecard, Assets & other Dashboards are properly maintained. ·
- To provide support to the CO (Programme & Operations Units) in ensuring that the CO maintains its Acclaim status in Comptroller’s Watch List. ·
- To act as a conduit for the necessary synergies between Operations and Programme Units for better CO compliance and performance.
- Support Operations Unit in the Year-End Closures relating to balance sheet accounts.
5. Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of guidance to the Implementing Partners on routine implementation of projects.
- Organize NIM trainings for counterparts in Government, NGOs and other implementing partners
- Support joint UN HACT trainings as needed.
- Provide training and support to CO users in the overall operation of Atlas Project Management module, particularly those concerning budget formulation, revision and reporting.
V. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in financial resources management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented financial information, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and enhance UNDP credibility in use of financial resources.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing Conflict
- Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to clients needs promptly
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of accounting processes, methods, procedures and IPSAS; understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (broad range of specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis and reporting, and cost recovery)
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of Information Technology and applies it to work assignments.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
VI Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Finance, Business/public Administration or related field;
- Full Accountancy Qualification from an internationally recognized institute.
- At least 3 years of progressive responsible finance and accounting experience is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems. Knowledge of IPSAS is an added advantage.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension