- Develop the overall framework for Project Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and relevant target, indicators and means of verification for specific outputs and activities undertaken under the project;
- Prepare monitoring work plans that account for related activities undertaken by project partners and identify evaluation methodologies etc.
- Support project staff in putting into practice of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) methods, data collection procedures to effectively monitor project performance and evaluate outcomes;
- Establish data gathering mechanism, consolidating data against the program goals, and ensure timely and comprehensive flow of M&E information to relevant stakeholders;
- Actively participate in the design and implementation of assessments, surveys, and evaluations;
- Support the continuous monitoring, review and evaluation of the project and make field visits together with Implementing Partners (IPs), project team to conduct qualitative and quantitative checks to obtain feedback;
- Coordinate the timely submission of progress reports by implementing partners and assist with data entry, and the preparation of charts, graphs, and progress reports;
- Provide oversight in monitoring of project activities, to assess overall project implementation with respect to delivery, project objectives, outputs and indicators;
- In coordination with programme staff, ensure timely submission of project annual work plans, quarterly reports, annual reports, etc. from implementing partners;
- Review and provide quality assurance for all reports and work plans and advise programme staff on possible information gaps and ways for improvement accordingly;
- Based on results of monitoring, where necessary, undertake troubleshooting, suggest corrective measures to be undertaken, and decide for provision of technical assistance to implementing partners;
- Ensure reporting and evaluation arrangements are in place and are being implemented so that UNDP/donor requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Monitor project progress through field visit, offer feedback and keep regular communication with project team;
- Attend, participate and provide necessary inputs for preparation of and during project meeting, Workshops and trainings including preparing training reports;
- Secretariat and coordination support of programme meetings, project steering and appraisal meetings and other M&E related activities.
- Provide technical support to IPs and project team on the preparation of M&E plans at the field level and recommend corrective action, if any, to streamline the process;
- Collaborate with the IPs and project team to ensure project risks logs are in place and updated and reviewed in a timely manner to identify mitigation measures that are required;
- Ensure the timely submission of required reports by implementing partners under the overall guidance of the Programme Coordinator;
- Support the identification and documentation of links, synergies, lessons learnt and best practices of the projects that can be useful in the institutional learning process and increasing the results of project;
- Provide technical guidance for the implementation of the M&E plan, through training and other on-site support;
- Facilitate review of progress on a quarterly basis and ensure problem solving through remedial actions;
- Ensure any disparities between planned and actual outputs are addressed;
- Assist UNDP in the identification of potential implementation problems and bottlenecks and recommend appropriate strategies to address them;
- Identify and formulate lessons learned and document best practices to be integrated into project reports;
- Collaborate and coordinate with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations on monitoring and evaluation issues;
- Lead the design and delivery of M&E and capacity building to implementing partners involved in the implementation of the project;
- Closely cooperate and coordinate with the Programme Coordinator for the design, quality, development and completion of all assessments, analytical reports, case studies, success stories;
- Undertaking/prepare annual project reviews, process monitoring, operations monitoring, and lessons-learned workshops etc.;
- Fully document and disseminate results of project activities, accomplishments and innovations in the form of reports and presentations;
- Ensure that the established guidelines on project monitoring and evaluation for various project components are fully respected;
- Ensure transparency in accounting, reporting and documentation of project activities, and ensure compliance with UNDP M&E policies and best practices.
- Master's or Bachelor's Degree in economics, agricultural economics, social sciences preferably with a focus on monitoring and evaluation and/or knowledge management, development studies or a related area.
- inimum of 4 years (two years with Master's Degree) of progressively responsible experience in monitoring and evaluation at the national level in addition to hands on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Strong conceptual and research/analytical skills, coupled with the ability to think strategically and to rapidly analyze and recommend corrective steps to either fill the gaps or dovetail the processes to achieve the set objectives;
- Ability to identify monitoring and evaluation related risks and opportunities and provide timely feedback to rectify/fill the gaps;
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports;
- Strong communication and facilitation skills with ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders in a sensitive environment. must be able to respond quickly to requests for information;
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal and motivational skills and sensitivity to the local environment as well as the ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Good computer knowledge on database software like MS Excel, SPSS, and GIS will be given priority.
- Fluency in English and Amharic. Knowledge of local language is a plus. Other official language of the Un will be desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One year