- Ensure the implementation of the livelihoods component of the programme against annual work-plan, targets, time-plans and result indicators;
- Working closely with Implementing partners (IPs), conduct a comprehensive market and value chain assessment in the targeted refugee and host community context;
- Lead on developing livelihoods strategy design and implementation, focusing on the most vulnerable, at-risk, and poorest refugee and host communities’ populations within the program area;
- Monitor field-based implementation of programme activities;
- Monitor programme implementation of partners (IPs) in accordance with agreements, work-plans, deliverables and timelines;
- Ensure efficiency in the provision of support to local stakeholders in economic and private sector
- Regularly liaise with relevant state-level institutions, participating UN agencies, INGOs, NGOs and CSOs to understand ongoing policy initiatives and identify UNDP’s potential role and contribution to policy initiatives;
- Support the development of initiatives and partnerships that facilitate knowledge-management on livelihoods, poverty alleviation and particularly, their linkages with social cohesion and peacebuilding;
- Undertake capacity-development of partners and stakeholders where required;
- Ensures gender equality is mainstreamed throughout Livelihoods programme component team, and implementing partners (IPs).
- Support the development of livelihood-related components of UNDP’s project including through assessment, design and stakeholder consultation;
- Collect and analyze information on context for livelihoods;
- Identify opportunities for developing UNDP’s profile in livelihoods and recommend actions to make use of these opportunities;
- Develop new livelihood initiatives that are in line with the programme strategy for using livelihoods to strengthen social cohesion;
- Maintain regular interaction with national and local stakeholders with the objective of collecting information on ongoing and planned activities.
- Ensure that gender issues and concerns mainstreamed throughout the Livelihoods programme component activities, work plans, budgets, reports, research, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensures gender equality is mainstreamed throughout Livelihoods programme component;
- Integrate gender and youth sensitive programming to all implementation, ensuring that economic development activities are meeting the unique needs and priorities of women, girls, boys and men.
- Ensure integration of a gender lens in the livelihoods approaches undertaken;
- Monitoring implementation of the project’s activities and sub-activities, ensuring the attainment of the results identified in the project document;
- Writing of the narrative monthly, quarterly, intermediate and final reports, according to the templates and requirements;
- Assuring quality of relevant project/project components’ financial, procurement and administrative processes in order to make sure that they are conducted in line with prevailing UNDP rules and regulations as well as in line with the project timelines;
- Ensure programme delivery is in line with the log frames, and each indicator is being monitored as per M&E plans.
- Organize and facilitate training, information-sharing and knowledge-sharing events for fellow UNDP personnel and partners on the initiative as thematic expert on livelihoods;
- Support cross-sectoral periodic programme reviews to assess programme progress, capture lessons learnt and adapt programme strategies as necessary in accordance with Results-Based Management (RBM) principles;
- Collect and update relevant data and information on the progress indicators of livelihood activities in a regular manner;
- Identify and document best practices and lessons learned from the project that can be widely shared in publications, communication materials, and conferences.
- Master's or Bachelor's Degree in Development Studies, Agricultural Economics, Rural Development and Livelihoods, Business Administration, or any related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience (two years with Master's Degree) in the design and implementation of employment / livelihoods recovery projects/programme;
- A deep understanding of livelihoods and food security issues in the context of refugee and host community settings;
- Have a community engagement experience in the area of livelihoods/employment, community development, youth and women empowerment, and local governance and gender;
- Demonstrated capacity to lead and conduct livelihoods analyses and ability to effectively integrate livelihoods approach into overall programming that responds to the specific challenges and opportunities of refugee and host community contexts;
- Knowledge of capacity building, learning and development activities and how to create a learning and sharing environment with a strong knowledge management basis;
- Have significant field experience working with a wide range of stakeholders including community members to develop and implement results-oriented livelihood approaches with a particular focus on reaching the most vulnerable.
- Fluency in English and Amharic. Knowledge of local language is a plus. Other official language of the UN will be desirable
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One year