Vacancy no.: VIENTIANE/DC/GS/2018/01
Publication date: 4 September 2018
Application deadline (midnight Bangkok time): 18 September 2018
Job ID: 637
Department: RO-Asia and the Pacific
Organization Unit: RO-Asia and the Pacific
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: One year (with possibility of renewal)
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in Lao PDR.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity US$9,719.-yearly.
SAFE & FAIR will work on a local, national and regional basis delivering technical assistance and support with the overall objective of making labour migration safe and fair for all women in the ASEAN region. SAFE & FAIR engages with ASEAN Member States’ government authorities; ASEAN institutions; workers’ organizations; employers and recruitment agencies; civil society organizations; community-based organizations; families and communities; research institutions and academia, media networks, youth, and the general public and will deliver programming in ten countries (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Viet Nam).
The project is part of the multi-year EU-UN Spotlight Initiative to Eliminate Violence Against Women and Girls. It is implemented by the ILO in partnership with UN Women, led by the ILO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific.
The Programme and Administrative Assistant will work under the supervision of the National Project Coordinator of Safe and Fair in Lao PDR; and the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) of Safe and Fair with administrative and financial guidance provided by the Finance and Administrative Officer (ROAP). She / he is required to work in close collaboration with other ILO staff members.
Description of Duties
Specifically, the Programme and Administrative Assistant will perform and assume the following tasks and responsibilities
1. Assist in monitoring budget, expenditures and administrative matters of the SAFE & FAIR Project delivered through the country office.
2. Prepare and process financial transactions in IRIS including contracts, travel requests, purchase orders and requisitions, external payment authorizations and others as may be necessary.
3. Review monthly expenditure and process expenditures in IRIS. Prepare budget revisions and update budgets in the financial management system (IRIS) where necessary. Prepare monthly financial reports of the Project.
4. Provide advice and support on financial and administrative matters to project staff where necessary, including finance systems and processes. Ensure compliance with ILO procedures and intervene as required. Assist in the preparation of financial reports and documents.
5. Assist the NPC in processing start up and implementation of action programmes and undertake the drafting of different types of contracts as well as in processing vouchers and financial clearances for these activities.
6. Maintain an overview of the Project’s work s to ensure compliance with ILO procedures.
7. Maintain and update project databases including project information relating to budget, expenditures and status of on-going project personnel contracts. Maintain a follow-up system; set-up and maintain an orderly filing system for the Project.
8. Provide secretarial and administrative support for seminars, workshops, meetings and other activities of the Project, including preparation of invitation letters and other documents for meetings as well as logistical arrangements.
9. Make travel arrangements, hotel reservations and prepare travel authorizations/claims, compile, calculate and prepare cost estimates and prepare documents and materials for missions.
10. Receive and assist visitors, place and screen telephone calls and correspondences, maintain the NPC’s calendar, arrange meetings as necessary, and respond to routine queries and requests for information.
11. Make arrangements for the procurement, shipment and receipt of office and project supplies, equipment and materials and household effect, including customs clearance.
12. In coordination with the Regional Human Resources Development Unit, assist staff members and their dependents in processing requests for visas, identity cards, driving licenses and other necessary administrative documents in accordance with the requirements of the ILO and relevant country governments.
13. Draft correspondence, reports and documents on project activities and ensure accuracy and conformity to existing standards and procedures.
14. Assist the NPC in the preparation of status reports, progress and evaluation reports, and ad hoc reports required by the ILO and the donor.
15. Maintain regular communication with project staff and project partners and do follow-up actions on activities as necessary.
16. Perform other duties as may be required by the CTA with regards to the project.
Completion of secondary school education, supplemented by commercial training in bookkeeping, accounting, business administration or equivalent experience.
At least five years of project/management support (admin and finance) experience. Familiarity with ILO administrative procedures is preferred.
Proficiency in English and national language with good drafting skills.
• Knowledge of ILO administrative and financial policies and procedures
• Excellent organizational skills
• Knowledge of requirements and procedures for the preparation and processing of documents, vouchers, administrative and financial forms and for the creation and maintenance of filing systems.
• Ability to establish and maintain a comprehensive administrative and financial information system
• Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Reader) and ability to use other software packages required by the project.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work as a member of a team and manage heavy workload under time pressure.
• Ability to evaluate correspondence and inquiries for best course of action.
• Ability to respond to work related inquiries in a timely and appropriate manner.
• Ability to obtain services and support from other work units inside and outside the office for completion of tasks.
• Ability to make effective administrative arrangements for meetings, missions, trainings and the like with minimum supervision;
• Capacity and willingness to take initiatives;
• Team player with good communication and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines.
optional section (if needed)
Conditions of employment:
Starting salary: US$9,719 per annum
Allowances & benefits: Affiliation to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund
Affiliation to the ILO-ITU Staff Health Insurance Fund
30 working days of annual leave
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website at https://jobs.ilo.org. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now