The UNV Field Units (FU) are mainly accountable for the mobilization and placement of UN Volunteers in UN Agencies, Funds, and Programmes focused on peace, development and humanitarian needs. The UNV Field Units represent and position UNV in the respective countries and bring UNV’s services and solutions closer to its partners from governments, UN entities, civil society and private sector.
Under the matrix management of the Regional Portfolio Specialist in UNV’s Regional Office, and the UNDP Country Director/Deputy Country Director, the Programme Analyst manages the UNV Field Unit. She/he is responsible for effective planning, mobilization and placement of UN Volunteers, advocacy and positioning of UNV interests in the country. The Programme Analyst builds and maintains relationships with main partners, and effectively coordinates with the Regional Office and HQ organizational units, on volunteer mobilization, and provision of substantive inputs and facilitation of corporate initiatives.
The Programme Analyst in Congo is also responsible for UNV activities in Gabon.
UN Volunteer mobilization and management
- Liaise with UN agencies in both countries to ensure an understanding of UNV’s mandate, key offers and the added value that UN Volunteer assignments bring in support to the achievement of their respective mandates;
- Under the overall guidance of the Portfolio Specialist in the Regional Office, maintain business intelligence on UN agencies, identifying specific entry points to diversify partnerships with the key result of increased volunteer assignments, including the assessment and reporting on the forecast demand for UN Volunteers in the countries;
- Identify volunteer placement opportunities and present UNV value proposition and volunteer modalities with the objective of maximizing international and national volunteer presence;
- Ensure that incoming and outgoing UN Volunteers are adequately briefed and debriefed and extend support and guidance to UN Volunteers serving in the countries;
- Work closely with the Field Security Officer and provide support to the UN Designated Officials to ensure a detailed understanding among UN Volunteers on all security-related issues;
- Monitor the well-being and performance of serving UN Volunteers through routine field visits to their duty stations and discussions with their supervisors and counterparts;
- Oversee and approve UN Volunteers’ entitlements as delegated, authorized, or needed;
- In the event where no UNV Programme Assistant/Associate is present, support the recruitment of national and international UN Volunteers as well as other administrative duties for placement and management of UN Volunteers assigned to the country in line with the conditions of service and in close coordination with the relevant organizational units.
Advocacy, partnership building, and UNV programme integration
- Support key results and delivery of UNV’s Strategic Framework in the countries;
- In collaboration with the Regional team establish, foster and maintain effective outreach and relationships, including the formalization of partnerships and other exchanges of confidence such as inclusion in the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), as well as with government, UN agencies, NGOs, the private sector and other relevant development partners;
- Participate in UN thematic forces, UN-led assessments, Programme Management Team (PMT) meetings, post-conflict needs assessments, UNDAF planning processes, technical missions and funding appeals to identify opportunities for volunteerism and volunteer placement;
- Under the overall guidance of the Regional Portfolio Specialist, establish, foster and maintain effective outreach and relationships with local civil society organizations, prioritizing those focused on volunteerism, to contribute to community-led sustainable development in the countries;
- In close collaboration with the Programme Analyst/Specialist, Volunteer Advisory Services, in the Regional Office, encourage national and local actors to establish a framework on volunteer infrastructure that supports volunteerism for peace and development, including the adoption of relevant policies and legislation;
- Gather business intelligence related to partnerships, promotion of volunteerism and shaping and delivering volunteer infrastructure advisory services and conduct country scans as input for corporate planning processes;
- In close coordination with the Regional Office, contribute to the preparation, and dissemination of country-specific promotional information on the mandate and work of UNV with relevant development partners and the media;
- Coordinate activities and plan events, in collaboration with other agencies, for annual, national and UN-recognized international celebrations, including the International Volunteer Day (IVD);
- Encourage and monitor serving UN Volunteers to embrace the ideals of volunteerism, act as advocates for volunteer action, and document their experiences in promoting volunteerism.
- Support and monitor the implementation of the Field Unit’s annual work plan, including management and reporting on UNV support funds and budget;
- Ensure coordinated and effective delivery of UNV services in the country, enabling a supportive and collaborative work environment;
- Supervise any UNV assigned personnel within the FU including performance assessment and capacity development.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional Competencies:
- Knowledge of sustainable development concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, covering the economic, social and environmental dimensions
Peacebuilding and Reconciliation
- Ability to support peace processes to facilitate recovery and development
Development Planning and Monitoring
- Ability to develop business and planning processes at the national and local level and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Ability to plan, organize, motivate, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Master's degree in social sciences, international development, project management, public/business administration or related fields;
- A first-level university degreein combnation with two additional years of qualifying experine may be accepted in lieu of the Master's degree.
- 1 year of relevant work experience preferably in a humanitarian, development and/or peace related field;
- Relevant experience in facilitating partnerships and/or inter-agency initiatives
- Relevant work experience with the United Nations is an asset;
- Previous experience in a civil society setting and/or as a volunteer with volunteer management and/or promotion of volunteerism is a distinct advantage.
- Fluency in English and French.
- Computer literate and experience using Microsoft Office package and Internet.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
- This post is open to nationals of the Republic of the Congo (Congo-Brazzaville) only.
All posts in the NO categories are subject to local recruitment.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension