Habitat for Humanity International seeks to appoint a Program Operations Intern to be based in Pretoria. The objective of this internship is to provide an opportunity for the incumbent to gain work-based experience through exposure and involvement in Habitat for Humanity’s International Projects and also to provide exposure to a professional working environment while gaining knowledge and insight into the housing/human settlements sector. This position will be reporting to the Regional Program Manager.
Length of internship: 12 months, full time (4 days a week).
Terms of Reference for the Internship:
Under the supervision of the Regional Program Manager/s, the intern will be expected to focus on the following:
- Conduct desktop research (internet-based) that will feed into a range of documents such as project proposals, country assessments, strategic plans, presentations and reports;
- Read, analyze and present information for use in project reports or other strategic documents
- Identify valuable program models (either unique or synergistic) that can be included on learning platforms across the region. These may be compiled through methodologies such as case studies.
- Undertake country follow up and monitoring of organizational or program-related submissions, reports and deliverables (engage national organizations on progress or required submissions)
- Provide project management support on special projects with involvement in the full project management life cycle
- Assist with the planning and logistics of any program-related meetings, workshops or other events.
- Administrative support - assist with travel bookings, travel claims and other project administrative support tasks
- Perform other tasks as assigned
At the end of the internship, the following outcomes are envisaged:
- Completed reports, content papers, presentations and recommendations as tasked on different assignments
- A noteworthy contribution made to the learning platform of EMEA
- Experience and understanding of Habitat for Humanity’s program-related processes and systems, and enhanced skills in project management
- Experience of a range of administrative processes in Habitat for Humanity
- Insight and experience of working in an international Non-Profit Organization with a diverse team of people
- Knowledge gained of the housing/human settlements sector
- Graduate degree in a related field – Development Studies, Public & Development Administration, Project Management, Social Sciences or Housing & Human Settlements. A postgraduate qualification would be a definite advantage.
- Have computer skills particularly MS Office, Power Point, MS Project and intermediate Excel skills.
- Must be well-organized, detail-oriented and be able to work well both independently and in a team environment. The person must enjoy research work and have a strong analytical mind.
- Must be enthusiastic, creative and self-motivated.
- Should be willing to do administrative work.
- Readily listens to other perspectives and is open to learning.
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in two-way communication.
Other Relevant Information
- Interns are urged to complete the full term of their internship and will accordingly receive a reference on successful completion thereof.
- The intern must keep confidential any and all unpublished information made known during the course of the internship and not publish any reports or papers on the basis of information obtained except with the written approval and authorization of HFHI