Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we can act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
Our client is an operational arm of the UN, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peace building, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the UN, our client provides sustainable project management, procurement & infrastructure services to a wide range of govt.'s, donors & UN organizations. With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, our client offers its partners the logistical, technical & management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, our client makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments. Our client seeks to employ a Program Manager to support management of its Security Sector & Justice Program in Somalia.
The program’s desired outputs include:
- Develop political, legal & financial frameworks.
- Expand, train, equip & provide infrastructure for police.
- Expand, train, equip & provide infrastructure to justice agencies in targeted areas.
- Monitoring & manage risk.
Summary of key results:
- Stakeholder Management.
- Program Delivery & Performance.
- Personnel Management.
- Govt. Institutional Strengthening.
- Knowledge Management & Innovation.
- Support the establishment of a governance framework for the SSJP Program.
- Establishing a solid working relationship with fund implementer's & supporters, UN entities, development partners, African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), NGOs & other key stakeholders through the Informal Security & Justice Network & other fora.
- Lead the planning, implementation & organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, clients & stakeholders within the program.
- Manage communications &ensure stakeholders are aware of SSJP activities, progress, exceptions.
- Oversee information flows between the SSJP Board & the Country Director.
- Advise DFID on issues that may impact the achievements of program outcome.
- Consult & collaborate with internal & external colleagues & partners to ensure linkages, consistency & harmonization of approaches & compliance with guidelines, framework & standards of accountability, integrity & performance.
Program Delivery & Performance:
- Implement the program governance framework & support its development based on corporate standards & guidelines.
- Oversee the program implementation plans in collaboration with the team & partners, including setting objectives, performance measurements, standards & results expected to ensure timely & client-oriented services.
- Supervise the timely & cost-effective implementation of the program according to goals & partner expectations, approved budget.
- Support the Fund Manager to ensure the financial sustainability of the program & delivery of desired results, ensuring compliance with organizational strategies, rules, regulations & standards of performance.
- Ensure effective & seamless integration into core Country Office structures & processes.
- Ensure linkages with country office projects (particularly the Joint Police Program) are built & strengthened.
- Manage program resources in accordance with standards of ethics, integrity & accountability framework & financial sustainability.
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social & gender inclusion, environmental & economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Manage the production of the required reports & products, taking responsibility for overall progress & use of resources & initiating corrective action where necessary,
- Plan, recruit, manage & develop program personnel/technical experts with the skills & competencies needed to ensure optimum performance & encouraging the formation of diverse teams in term of gender & geography.
- Promote teamwork, collaboration & diversity by providing the program team with clear direction, objectives & guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively & efficiently.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men & women & ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Receive personnel training plans & assist in implementation of training needs of project personnel.
Govt. Institutional Strengthening:
- Provide technical mentor ship in the configuration of processes that help define organizational structure & development of delivery systems of Somali public entities.
- Provide high level technical advisory services to govt. institutions particularly the Ministry of Internal Security, Ministry of Justice & Ministry of Finance.
Knowledge Management & Innovation:
- Keep abreast of & incorporate latest/best practices, approaches & technology to enhance the program delivery & results.
- Institutionalize & share best practices & lessons learned for corporate development planning & knowledge building.
- Disseminate information to project staff to update as required in keeping with rules & regulations.
- Draft policy papers &/or recommend policy changes to align operations with changing environment.
- This role reports to the Country Director.
- To be advised.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Africa (desirable).
- Fluency in English (essential), Somali (desirable) and Arabic (desirable).
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values & ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission & strategic goals.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality & age sensitivity & adaptability.
- Accountability for results & the use of resources.
- Ability to lead & manage a diverse group of colleagues to achieve results in a responsible & collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision & modelling behavior.
- Ability to communicate ideas & concept in writing & orally, clearly & convincingly.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures & models & to introduce new approaches & strategic innovations.
- Strong capacity building ability.
- Ability to establish & maintain broad strategic networks & partnerships with UN agencies & other international partners to promote partnership & build alliances to advance organizational interests & competencies.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements.
Other relevant information:
- Master’s Degree in Peace & Conflict Studies, Project Management, Public Administration, Social Science or another relevant related field is required.
- PRINCE2® Foundation/Practitioner an asset.
- Program/Project Management Professional (MSP® or PMI-PgMP/PMI-PMP) an asset.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in program management & a strong background in operating in harsh & post conflict situations.
- A combination of Bachelor’s Degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements as outlined above.
- Experience in capacity building is required.
- Experience working with national govt. & ministries is desired.
- Some experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is desirable.
- Project Management - Stakeholder Management.
- Project Management - Capacity Building.
- Executive/Management - Program Management.
- Executive/Management - People Management.