The Procurement Support Unit (PSU) within the Bureau for Management Services is responsible for managing the procurement function in UNDP. The Procurement Service Hub (PSH) of the PSU established in UNDP - Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) PSH and located in Cyberjaya (Malaysia), provides services for Business Units (primarily for Country Offices in Asia and Pacific regions) including UN Agencies on high volume and complex projects.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of the PSH and direct supervision of the Procurement Analyst, the Procurement Associate ensures execution of transparent and efficient procurement services and processes in the Procurement Service Hub. The Procurement Associate promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach in the Unit.
S/he will refer to Service Agreements and Standard Operating procedures (SOPs), will have a transparent and open communication with the customers, and report any deviation to the Services Agreements so that corrective actions can be taken in time.
S/he will improve regularly its processes, in a continuous improvement culture.
The Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the Country Offices, Regional Centers and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex procurement-related issues and information exchange.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies;
- Organization of procurement processes;
- Implementation of sourcing strategy;
- Control of PSH Assets;
- Provision of logistical services;
- Prepositioning stock of the goods;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of the operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control;
- Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Organizes procurement processes for UNDP projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of procurement plans for PSH and clients’ projects and monitoring of their implementation;
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendors’ creation in Atlas. . Buyers profile in Atlas;
- Preparation of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP);
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Presentation of reports on procurement where required;
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies;
- Implementation of joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation.
Ensures proper control of PSH Assets focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Preparation of inventory reports;
- Implementation of Inventory and physical verification control in PSH.
Ensures organization of logistical services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of travel including purchase of tickets, DSA calculation, PO preparation; arrangement of shipments; vehicle maintenance; conference facilities arrangements;
- Timely conducted DSA, Travel Agencies, vehicle maintenance, hotel and conference facilities surveys.
Pre-positioned stock of the goods:
- Implementation of the prepositioned stock of the goods at the vendors’ hubs or at other locations to facilitate delivery to the COs;
- Forecast and manage of prepositioning of the goods in consultation with COs.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in PSH focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Keep track of tasks performed, propose improvement actions and participate to continuous process improvement effort.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall execution of procurement services and success in implementation of operational strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of procurement information, duly organized procurement processes ensure client satisfaction and overall timely delivery of UNDP programmes and projects.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases:
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change:
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Data gathering and implementation of management systems:
- Uses information/databases/other management systems;
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components;
Maintains effective client relationships:
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Gathering and disseminating information:
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems;
- Prepares timely inputs to reports;
- Maintain databases.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Secondary Education with specialized training in procurement or Bachelor’s Degree in related fields like Business, Public Administration, Engineering, Finance or Economics.
- 6 years with Secondary Education or 3 Years with Bachelors Degree of progressively responsible procurement/administrative experience is required at the national or international level;
- Procurement Certification/Accreditation by a recognized professional body;
- Proficient in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web based management systems;
- Knowledge of ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software;
- Extensive experience in complex and high volume procurement of goods/services.
Excellent writing and oral English skills are required. Working knowledge of French, Spanish or Arabic is an asset.
Important applicant information
Internal mobility at PSU is strongly encouraged and we reserve the right to reassign the newly appointed staff members with similar skillset and educational qualifications for similar functions and job categories at the same level in PSU. The internal lateral movements will be determined based on the needs of the organization while allowing the newly recruits to broaden their skills, build networks and gain fresh experience and to better align their profiles with the jobs.
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension