Under the overall guidance of Deputy Resident Representative/Operations (DRR/O) and direct supervision of the Procurement Specialist, the Procurement Analyst ensures effective delivery of procurement services in order to obtain best value for money. The person analyzes and interprets the Financial Rules and Regulations (FRRs) and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement. The Procurement Analyst promotes a collaborative, strategic, client-focused and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
The Procurement Analyst works in close collaboration with both the Programme, Projects and Operations teams in the Country Office (CO), the Regional Service Centre and UNDP HQ staff to successfully deliver procurement services while ensuring best value for money, compliance to internal controls and protecting the legal interest of UNDP at all times.
Summary of key functions:
- Inputs to elaboration and implementation of operational strategies
- Management of procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides analytical inputs to elaboration and implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, analysis of parameters in support of proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system;
- Recommending cost-saving/cost-reduction measures, process simplification strategies and risk minimization techniques in various stages of the procurement process;
- Reporting to Procurement Specialist monthly on procurement workflows, statistics, incomes generated or any other relevant management information;
- Preparing position paper on various procurement issues, for internal distribution as and when needed, especially in contract disputes, protests, disagreements and claims.
Supports management of procurement processes for CO, national implementation/direct implementation (NIM/DIM) projects, UN Common Premises and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of information and contribution for preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and monitoring of local procurement for their implementation;
- Implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organization of Requests for Quotation (RFQ), Invitation to Bid (ITB) and Requests for Proposal (RFP) in consultation with Procurement Specialist; receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP Rules and Regulations;
- Preliminary review of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP), Regional Advisory Committee of Procurement (RACP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP);
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that purchase orders (POs) are duly prepared and dispatched. Follow up on timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Management of local procurement contracts;
- Implementation of harmonized procurement services and elaboration of proposals/ analysis of requirements on common services expansion in the UN Common Premises, introduction of joint procurement for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation criteria, quality and performance measurement mechanisms;
- Ensure compliance with existing e-procurement tools, promotion and performance measurement.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Providing advisory services and options to procurement and contract-related problems in programme/project implementation;
- Conducting briefings/trainings for operation/project staff and orientation to implementing partners and vendors on UNDP procurement policies and other information to the delivery of procurement services;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Procurement;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in procurement management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Accurate, thoroughly researched information, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and overall timely delivery of UNDP programmes and projects.
The application of the proper processes on procurement and contracting that are transparent, fair and beyond reproach is critical to achieving and maintaining confidence of donors and Government partners, which are crucial factors directly influencing partnerships, resource mobilization and generation of extra-budgetary income for the CO. Errors in decisions will adversely impact the integrity of the CO and the entire organization in general, and could lead to serious conflicts, issues, financial and opportunity costs, suspicions of irregularities/non-transparency, and all manner of legal risks, so that careful and thorough attention, accuracy, consistency and compliance to all policies, rules, regulations and procedures should be ensured at all times.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintaining a network of contacts
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Basic research and analysis
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Basic research and analysis
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
- Establishing effective client relationships
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Basic monitoring
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the same fields can be accepted with a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience.
- Recognized qualification in procurement is an asset.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ relevant procurement experience (with master’s degree) OR four (4) years relevant procurement experience (with Bachelor’s degree).
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Somali language.
- Knowledge of a third language is an asset
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension