LM001 PRESS AND PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER/PHOTOGRAPHER (National Position)
Duty Station: Mogadishu
Availability: As soon as possible
Post category: Officer Level
Group classification:** 1
Monthly salary scale: $ 1.278 for 1 year experience up to $ 2.026 for 35 years
The Press and Public Information Officer (PPIO)/Photographer will report to the Senior Press and Public Information Officer/Chief of Unit.
· To assist in the implementation of the Communication and Information Strategy and other communication strategies, guidelines and plans of the Mission;
· To draft in English and in Somali stories, news, updates and press releases on mission activities and Mandate implementation, and to adapt the content to different channels used by the Mission;
· To take photos and video clips for the mission purposes and, if requested, for the EEAS and CPCC publications and to enhance the pictures for publication;
· To monitor Somali (including Somaliland) and international media, including social media, for content which is relevant for the mission and to draft and disseminate mission’s press reviews;
· To support the PPIO in updating the mission’s website and social media sites;
· To translate PPIO products from English to Somali and media contents from Somali to English;
· To assist in drafting printed materials for the mission;
· To contribute to the arrangements of events and visits of journalists and assist in media contacts, especially with Somali media;
· To keep the PPIO mailing lists updated;
· To carry out market researches for the procurement of promotional items and printed materials;
· To keep track of the stocks of the promotional;
To undertake any other tasks as requested by the Line Manager.
Essentials Qualifications and Experience
· Successful completion of university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma (undergraduate level) in communication, journalism, political sciences, international affairs, law or any other relevant field
· A minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience, after having fulfilled the education requirements.
· Excellent level of written and spoken English and Somali is a requirement;
· Excellent knowledge and experience of MS Office Suite Package.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Good drafting skills in English and in Somali;
· Ability to prioritize and perform, with limited supervision, multiple tasks in an energetic environment with multiple priorities;
· Flexibility and ability to work effectively under pressure, in difficult circumstances, as well as ability to communicate with personnel at all operational and strategic levels;
· Excellent communication and analytical skills in both written and spoken English and Somali language;
· Sufficient knowledge of the EU and understanding of its role in Somalia;
· Ability to take photos which can be used in public communication of the Mission;
· Ability to translate swiftly articles and documents from English to Somali and media contents from Somali to English;
· Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
· Ability to work methodically, accurately and with attention to details as well as to tight deadlines;
· Strong sense of confidentiality and discretion in dealing with strategic sensitivities, staff-related matters and financial issues;
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
· Previous work experience with an international organisation;
· Knowledge of Photoshop or other photo editing programs;
· Willingness to work long irregular hours when needed and still deal helpfully and courteously with all contacts;
· Teamwork oriented;
· Must be able to express ideas and concepts clearly and concisely in written and oral form;
· Good experience in collecting and analysing using data for preparing reports.
Mandatory requirement to pass security clearances and medical check.