Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Policy Specialist advises Senior Management on socio-economic policies and trends and relevant linkages to UNDP programmes. The Policy Specialist provides analysis for formulation of strategies and briefings to Senior Management. The Policy Specialist works with Government counterparts to identify socio-economic policy options and to enhance the policy impact of UNDP projects and programmes. The Policy Specialist advocates for and represents UNDP in his/her area of expertise as requested by his/her supervisor. The Policy Specialist may supervise and lead a team of UNDP experts, international and national consultants and project staff. The Policy Specialist maintains a network with colleagues from UNDP, UN Agencies, IFIs, Government officials, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors, private sector and civil society.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Advice and support to UNDP management on socio-economic and development issues
- Advice to Government counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building on socio-economic and development issues
- Creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization
- Advocacy and promotion of UNDP’s mandate and mission
1. Provides advice and support to UNDP management, programmes and projects on socio-economic and development issues and on mainstreaming innovative approaches focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compilation, analysis and interpretation of socio-economic and statistical data, thorough research of the socio-economic and development issues in the country and preparation of top quality analysis and reports.
- Provision of top quality analysis and substantive inputs to UNDAF, CPD and other strategic documents.
- Advice on possible areas for UNDP support and adjustment of on-going programmes to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities.
- Lead the work on mainstreaming innovation throughout UNDP’s programme and operations.
- Engage with the private sector to promote the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Production and launch of socio-economic papers and reports, including the National Human Development Reports.
- Contribution to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to development/socio-economic issues.
- Representation of UNDP in different working groups, including on SDGs.
2. Provides policy advice and options to Government counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building and management among UN agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of policy options, particularly from pro-poor perspectives, on socio-economic development.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Assessment of the country’s socio-economic policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, equity, etc.
- Training and capacity building support for UNDP staff and Government officials, public institutions on socio-economic issues.
3. Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation.
- Production of periodic updates and briefs on country development situation to be used by stakeholders, CO and HQ.
- Undertaking of selected studies/research on emerging development concerns that feed into government/development partners processes.
4. Advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDP mandate and mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Public and policy advocacy for the Sustainable Development Goals, Agenda 2030 pro-poor and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant coordination groups, forums, conferences and trainings.
- Support to monitoring progress and formulation of strategies towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Management of events and publications on a variety of development issues.
The key results of the post strengthen UNDP’s contributions to the national policy dialogue and enhance the policy impact of UNDP programmes and projects. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design of programmes by incorporating innovative approaches, and creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets. The post increases visibility of UNDP in the discussion about the Sustainable Development Goals, development and socio-economic policies and analysis.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 2: analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 2: Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Develops positive ties with civil society to build/strengthen UNDP’s mandate
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 2: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 2: In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate
Level 2: Developing promotional projects and organizational messages
- Identifies and develops activities to enhance the visibility of UNDP
- Develops promotional activities based on monitoring/evaluation information identifying areas requiring higher visibility
- Reviews documents and materials intended for use within and outside the organization in order to ensure consistency and validity of messages
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 2: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Level 2: Developing innovative and creative approaches
- Develops innovative and creative approaches to meet programme and capacity development objectives
- Participates in dialogue about conceptual innovation at the country and regional levels
Level 2: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing socio-economic and development related advisory services. Extensive experience in policy-level analysis. Experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Advanced understanding of economic theories, principles and their applications to current national economic and development issues.
- Proven capacity to deal with complex policy analysis and to promote innovation.
- Experience with private sector engagement.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data.
- Fluency in English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension