Internews seeks a Digital Information Specialist for a potential USAID-funded media support program in the Philippines. S/he will act as the technical expert/ advisor in the design and implementation of interventions focused on bolstering the capacity of media and other organizations to address disinformation. S/he will coordinate closely with program-supported media outlets to assess and develop their technical capacity. S/he will also contribute to the growth and independence of the media sector in the Philippines as a whole by building trusted working relationships with media outlets and practitioners and advising on selection of consultants, training topics, and agendas for project-supported events. This position will report to the Chief of Party and will be supported as necessary by Internews’ Asia team and administrative staff to ensure that activities comply with program objectives and USAID rules and regulations. The position will be based in Manila, Philippines.
Note: Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Work collaboratively with program staff to develop applicant criteria and select qualified media outlets and media support organizations for program-supported small grants and stipends, as is relevant.
- Provide guidance to media support organizations to inform the technical selection criteria and provision of technical support.
- Lead technical assessments of project beneficiaries to identify their needs and develop plans to address these needs; ensure that beneficiaries adhere to their plans to meet their stated goals.
- Maintain expert-level knowledge of trends in disinformation in the Philippines and tactical-level strategies media and civil society are piloting to combat it; maintain general-level knowledge of disinformation trends in Southeast Asia
- Provide technical expertise on design of relevant trainings, mentoring programs, and/or consultations to local media outlets to address information disorder
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party, oversee development of training and event agendas, including identifying Philippines and regional thematic experts to serve as trainers, mentors, and speakers. Provide in-person trainings, online webinars, master classes, and/or panel sessions as necessary.
- Nurture relationships with media outlets, tech companies, academic institutions and other relevant stakeholders in the Philippines to identify potential program beneficiaries and extend the program’s potential reach.
- Support program reporting, monitoring and evaluation data collection from partners, and other administrative elements as necessary.
- Provide support as necessary for developing new relationships and business initiatives.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least 3 years of intensive prior work experience implementing interventions to address information disorder
- Deep knowledge of digital security sector and experience training or advising local media and/or civil society organizations on digital security protocols
- Deep understanding of the media sector in the Philippines, as well as working knowledge of the broader media environment in Southeast Asia
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media programs and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience implementing complex, multifaceted programs with demonstrated skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Proven experience working effectively with media and media/journalist associations, civil society, private sector organizations, and host country government counterparts.
- Proven ability to develop, manage and nurture working relationships among diverse groups of national and multilateral stakeholders, donors, and NGOs.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff.
- USAID or USG experience is strongly preferred.
- Substantial prior work experience in the Philippines or a country with a similar context preferred
- Experience leveraging other sources of funding to advance programmatic objectives.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- English fluency required
- Graduate degree in information communications technology (ICT) or related fields, or equivalent professional certifications required