The UN SDG Action Campaign is a special inter-agency initiative of the UN Secretary-General administered and supported by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and based in Bonn (Germany) at the UN SDG Global Campaign Center and in New York (USA) at UNDP Headquarters. The UN SDG Action Campaign’s mission is to scale up, broaden and sustain the global movement of action for the SDGs.
The Action Campaign’s strategy is based on three pillars: I. Mobilize: activating the largest number of individuals and organizations to take action on SDGs.; II. Inspire: leveraging art, music, festivals, new media, technologies to increase the visibility of SDGs change-makers and attract new partners; III. Connect: connecting people’s perceptions and actions on the SDGs with decision makers in SDG planning and review processes at all levels.
The year 2020 is going to be critical as the world will reach the 5-year mark from the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and of the 17 SDGs in 2015, and 2020 will also serve to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the United Nations. It is envisaged that the advocacy, campaigning and mobilization efforts in the framework of the Decade of Action launched by the UN Secretary-General in 2019, will be expanded in 2020.
In this context, the UN SDG Action Campaign intends to scale up its partnership building efforts with the creative sector and ensure adequate communications support is in place to adequately profile and amplify the work of the Campaign. The UN SDG Action Campaign will leverage milestone events such as the SDG Global Festival of Action in Bonn in April 2020, and the SDG Action Zone in New York in September 2020, to achieve the aforementioned objectives.
In order to deliver more effectively on the above, the UN SDG Action Campaign is seeking to recruit a Partnerships and Communications Analyst reporting to the Global Director to map out, secure and monitor partnerships with the creative sector, as well as provide communications support to the UN SDG Action Campaign’s milestone advocacy events “SDG Global Festival of Action” and the “SDG Action Zone”.
Support the partnership building efforts of the UN SDG Action Campaign with the creative sector
- Scan opportunities for partnerships with stakeholders from the creative sector;
- Broker the establishment of contacts with potential partners, organizing meetings and negotiations, and prepare subsequent records of meetings, plan of action and follow-up for potential partnership development opportunities;
- Support the development, implementation and monitoring of joint initiatives with partners from the creative sector and provide concept notes, proposals, briefings, and other relevant documents as required.
Support the development and implementation of the communications strategies and workplans of the UN SDG Action Campaign
- Support the development and implementation of the communications and branding strategies and workplans of the UN SDG Action Campaign in support of the Campaign’s strategic objectives;
- Assist with the production of media, communications and social media tools and assets for various audiences and platforms and facilitate their dissemination via the Campaign’s channels including media pitches, presentations, promotional materials, videos, website content, newsletters, articles and reporting materials.
Provide partnerships and communications support to key large-scale events of the UN SDG Action Campaign
- Identify and liaise with relevant partners from the creative sector to engage them in relevant events of the UN SDG Action Campaign, including the SDG Global Festival of Action, the SDG Action Awards and the SDG Action Zone at the UN General Assembly;
- Provide communications and social media support at key events of the UN SDG Action Campaign (see list of events in the point above), including facilitating the liaison with the communications partners and the media, and coordinating media opportunities.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Collaboration and Partnership
Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
Advocacy and Activations
Ability to design and implement strategic short/long term campaigns and carry out customized activations to highlight UNDP's position and support issue-based advocacy.
Ability to represent and promote the UN SDG Action Campaign brand in virtual communities / networks and promote citizen engagement in the UN SDG Action Campaign’s work.
Ability to try out / test new ways of engagement and communications. Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
- Master’s university degree (or equivalent) in political affairs, international relations, social sciences, communications or related fields.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in brokering alliances with stakeholders from the creative sector, and providing communications support to projects and initiatives at the international level;
- Experience in providing partnerships and/or communications support to large-scale international events with high-level participation;
- Familiarity with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the SDGs is required.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English is a must. Knowledge of another UN language is desirable.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
Contract Duration: 364 Days