- Create a short-term concrete implementation Plan to enable the long climate change goals as reflected in its Climate Change Policy, Climate Response Strategy, Low Emission Development Strategy, amongst others;
- Provide a mechanism for coordinating support from partners against the Government’s priority needs for implementation;
- Providing a mechanism for tracking and reporting progress of NDC implementation;
- Enhancing transparency and accountability of NDC implementation.
- Facilitate and support the Climate Change for NDC coordination and monitoring as well as guide overall implementation of NDC across sectors, working through existing coordination and governance mechanisms in country, such as the High level NDC Implementation Committee and its subcommittees;
- Facilitate periodic coordination and information exchanges among partners, with the aim of leveraging and mobilizing their respective advantages in support of the NDC Partnership Plan actions;
- Support the organization of the NDP Partnership missions and follow up actions with the stakeholders;
- Support resource mobilization for implementation of Zimbabwe’s NDC Partnership Plan as well as the NDC’s and LEDS.
- Facilitate meetings with the sectors in the NDC Partnership Plan implementation in their respective areas in line with existing sector plans, including with development partners which are supporting various sectors in country;
- Effective application of RBM tools to implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the NDC Partnership Plan;
- Support CCMD to coordinate key stakeholders in articulating their needs for achieving NDC targets within a results-based framework format, and development and implementation of the NDC Partnership Plan and the LEDS Framework;
- Support the alignment and integration of the NDC Partnership Plan, LEDS, incoming National Adaptation Plan, and others in existing national plans/strategies, governance mechanisms and provide services to strengthen coordination and harmonization between these, as needed;
- Support mobilisation of domestic and international resources for NDC implementation;
- Support to revision of NDC Partnership plan and LEDS based on feedback from review processes;
- Support the CCMD in identifying capacity needs for key stakeholders in the NDC and LEDS implementation plan;
- Support the CCD in the development of capacity development strategy and plan;
- Identify externally available experts and technical assistants to support the cross-sector capacity building priority actions;
- Support CCMD, and sectors to develop their capacity through hands on training in sector NDC/CRGE priority actions;
- Assist the Government in tracking the progress of the NDC Partnership Plan implementation and provide periodic progress reports to the Government, the NDC Partnership Support Unit and UNDP;
- Document success stories and organize learning events as appropriate, including both contributing to and accessing knowledge products;
- Support CCMD to develop or agree on how to monitor and report on the implementation of the NDC Partnership Plan;
- Assess progress outcomes of the NDC Partnership in-country engagement and make recommendations for adjustments Supporting the organization and facilitation of a stop and reflect exercise on the NDC Partnership Plan implementation.
- Collaborate with the UNDP, CCD and NDC Partnership SU (Knowledge and Learning team) identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to publicizing the work of the agencies and formulation of key national policies;
- Maintain close liaison with the NDC Partnership Steering Committee, through the Support Unit Knowledge and Learning team.
- 6-month performance review of the NDC Partnership Plan through Partnership Progress Update (PPU);
- Identification of opportunities to support policy reviews necessary advancing the implementation of the NDC Plan and LEDS;
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings.
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor;
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach;
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned;
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms;
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality;
- Building support and political acumen;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking;
- An advanced degree (Masters or higher) in environmental management, Natural Resource Management/policy, public policy or public finance management, or relevant field and equivalent experience;
- Training with certification in a specific Climate Change, NDC, LEDS or relevant courses an added advantage;
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience in environmental public policy fields with practical experience in climate change, adaptation/mitigation planning and implementation relating to Zimbabwe’s NDC;
- Demonstrated understanding of the provisions and the Paris Agreement and the national obligations to the agreement;
- Demonstrated understanding of the macroeconomic level policy framework, SDGs mainstreaming and of the drivers/enablers for achieving objective of the NDCs and LEDS;
- Experience in Climate change policy development, coordination and integration of NDCs, project and program design, management, monitoring and evaluation, including budget development and management in climate change;
- Experience in coordinating multi-stakeholder initiatives under the NDC and related frameworks;
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural environment in Africa and Zimbabwe.
- Experience in resource mobilisation experience for both domestic and international financing. This could include identification of donors and development of grant proposals for Zimbabwe’s NDC. Demonstrated capacity for fundraising through bilateral or multilateral partners is an advantage;
- Experience in identifying key issues in a complex situation, and consulting, gathering, and analyzing relevant information before proposing and implementing decisive actions or recommendations;
- Knowledge and experience of UNDP/UN system policies and programming is desirable;
- Fluency in English and one national language.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One year renewable