Terms of reference
Job Title: Operations Manager
Duty station: Mosul – Iraq with frequent visit to the intervention areas
Starting date: 15/04/2019
Contract duration: 7 months
Reporting to: HoM
Supervision of: 1 Logistic officer (national),1 Logistic assistant (national), 1 Admin/Finance Officer (national), 1 centre leader (national).
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit humanitarian aid organisation that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected. INTERSOS is an independent association which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world's poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure. INTERSOS established its presence in Iraq in 2003 and currently operates across Salah Al Din (SAD), Erbil and Ninewa Governorates. Thematic sectors of intervention are Health, Protection and Education in Emergency (EiE), and its main offices are in Baghdad and Erbil, while the other 3 sub-offices are located in Tikrit, Hamam Al Alil, and Mosul. By applying an integrated approach through the deployment of mobile and semi-static emergency response teams (composed of protection, legal and medical trained staff), INTERSOS provides essential lifesaving services to women, men, girls and boys in urgent need of assistance.
General purpose of the position
The Operational Manager will oversee the Administrative, HR and Logistics in Mosul, ensuring smooth running of the humanitarian operations, in accordance with INTERSOS’ country plans and policies. S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff as well as effectively oversee operations and partnerships. The Operational Manager will be responsible for the overall management of INTERSOS offices and guest-houses in Ninewa urban settings, in addition to the administrative and logistical management of INTERSOS centre in Telafar where a comprehensive package of services will be offered. Additionally, the Operational Manager will act as focal point for INTERSOS Ninewa in terms of security and relations with local authorities in the governorate.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- In coordination with Erbil Support Departments and with the support of support field staff overseeing the management of INTERSOS offices in Mosul (1) and Telafar (1), guest houses in Mosul (1) and Telafar (1) and community centres in Mosul (1), Telafar (1), Rabiah (1) and Baaj (1) in regards to both overall and daily administration with the support of Erbil Logistic/Finance/HR Departments
- Oversee and coordinate the set-up, initiation and daily management of INTERSOS community centres in Telafar and Rabiah.
- Providing guidance and support to Officers of different support functions (Logistic, Admin/Finance, HR) in Mosul office;
- Ensuring timely and proper performance of logistics and procurement functions at field level, according to INTERSOS policies and regulations;
- Ensure payments to suppliers and recurrent expenditures are made in a timely manner, respecting appropriate authorization levels and are properly documented;
- Monitoring and supporting administration and finance activities at field level making sure availability of funds is always guaranteed and transactions are properly processed and documented;
- Providing support to Mosul HR department, ensuring that INTERSOS HR policies and procedures are clearly understood and are followed;
- Conducting on-the-job training to field staff as necessary and induction/training for new field staff
- Ensuring Compliance of all processes with INTERSOS Internal Regulations, Donor requirements and the local legislation for what concerns financial, administrative, HR and logistic functions;
- Working with the Project Managers in budget preparations, revisions and follow ups, in regards to support and management costs; supporting in the identification of new gaps, actively contributing in defining needs and priorities for the area of responsibility.
- Acting as focal point for security and access issues at Ninewa governorate level, especially concerning the movements of the mobile units;
- Contributing to security analysis and supporting the HoM in updating internal security schemes and processes;
- Supporting the Program Managers in maintaining the contacts with authorities and security forces in Ninewa governorate to facilitate the activities implementation;
- Ensuring that the organization and donor compliance is mainstreamed.
- Support the senior management on the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on power of abuse.
- Support coordination of emergency interventions in the governorate
- Participate, in representation of INTERSOS, to coordination meeting, non-technical, at governorate level and timely and properly report to Senior Management on the most relevant issues.
- Performing any other task related to the position as per request of the direct supervisor.
Uphold the INTERSOS Code of Conduct and policies;
Ensure the respect of the core humanitarian principles: neutrality, impartiality, independence and humanity and the respect of the “do no harm” principle of humanitarian action.
Strictly follow internal procedures, policies (PSEA, CPP etc.) and guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
Required profile and experience
- Master's degree in Finance, Business Administration, social studies, humanitarian actions or any related field;
At least 3 years of experience in similar positions working internationally
Prior work experience in humanitarian project management will be considered a plus
Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving internal displacement.
Prior experience in remote management.
Knowledge of humanitarian assistance issues;
Knowledge of institutional donors and their guidelines
Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff
Strong organizational skills and ability to manage efficiently multiple priorities, deadlines and tasks with attention to details;
Excellent team working skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment and under pressure;
- Excellent English spoken and written language skills are mandatory. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks
Ability to plan ahead and output oriented
Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment with heavy work pressure
Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
Practical and problem-solver
Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS **