The Volunteer Services Centre (VSC) is responsible for providing timely and high-quality transactional services in the identification and recruitment of international UN Volunteers, as well as in the management of the conditions of service of volunteers globally. VSC works in close collaboration with the Volunteer Advisory Services and Volunteer Solutions Sections at headquarters, as well as with Regional Offices and Field Units to ensure seamless and consolidated services in accordance with regulations and rules, pertinent policies and internal procedures.
Reporting to the Team Leader of the Volunteer Services Centre, the Operations Associate, Volunteer Services coordinates a team of Operations Associates/Assistants, Volunteer Recruitment/Volunteer Management in the assigned portfolio, for the sourcing and recruitment of UN Volunteers as well as for the management of the volunteer management cycle from onboarding to separation for UN Volunteers. He/she ensures the provision of consistent and efficient volunteer services, in close coordination with Regional Offices and Field Units.
Outreach activities to meet the demand for UNV candidates
- Plan and coordinate the portfolio’s outreach activities with the aim of sourcing candidates in areas of demand, support recruitment efforts for hard-to-fill assignments, and increase diversity in the global UN Volunteer talent pool;
- Build and maintain a network of recruiting partners able to support the sourcing of candidates in areas of regular or high demand;
- Pro-actively network to source new talents for UNV assignments, including by reaching-out to new sources, preparing presentations and participation in recruitment drives, career fairs, webinars and other outreach opportunities;
- Liaise with the Regional Offices, Field Units and recruitment partners to keep abreast of evolving demands with special attention to crisis areas, ensuring that ongoing outreach and recruitment strategies are aligned to meet those demands.
Identification and recruitment of UN Volunteers
- Provide inputs to the development and maintenance of policies and procedures for the recruitment of l UN Volunteers, and ensure their consistent application;
- Coordinate the consistent implementation of the recruitment component of the Volunteer Management Applications Modules (VMAM);
- Monitor the quality of candidates identified and submitted within the required timeframe;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of standardized Descriptions of Assignments for UNV assignments;
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of agreed standard communications and processes related to UN Volunteer recruitment within the region.
Volunteer assignment management
- Coordinate the delivery of transaction services for the administration of the Conditions of Service for the different volunteer modalities in the assigned region;
- Monitor consistent volunteer management in VMAM;
- Contribute to the development, update and maintenance of procedures concerning the management of Conditions of Service and oversee their consistent application;
- Coordinate consistent guidance to Regional Offices and Field Units on queries related to Conditions of Service, including relevant rules, regulations, policies and administrative practices;
- Monitor and enable the Operations Associates/Assistants, Volunteer Recruitment/Volunteer Management, including through the business intelligence tools, to achieve the related indicators set in the UNV Strategic Framework;
- Contribute to the analysis of the regional Volunteer Service Centre results, report on trends and propose changes for improvements.
People and financial management
- Supervise the Operations Associates/Assistants, Volunteer Recruitment/Volunteer Management, including conducting their performance assessments, and recommending capacity development activities;
- Regularly monitor the ongoing activities in the Operations Associates/Assistants, Volunteer Recruitment/Volunteer Management portfolios, and arrange for re-distribution of portfolios when required, to ensure equal work distribution as well as timeliness and quality of work at all times;
- Support the Team Leader, VSC in the annual work planning and reporting processes, in particular as it relates to the work of Operations Associates/Assistants, Volunteer Recruitment/Volunteer Management in the portfolio team;
- Support Operations Associates/Assistants, Volunteer Recruitment/Volunteer Management in their regular tasks during times of high workload.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organize trainings on Conditions of Service and related policies;
- Synthesize lessons learnt and best practices in recruitment and volunteer management services to leverage client satisfaction;
- Make sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Contribute to the development of guidelines and operational procedures based on experience and regular exchanges with practitioners’ networks.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Human Resources Management
- Knowledge of HR management issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
- Knowledge of recruiting issues, procedures, and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations to secure quality candidates
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Secondary education with specialized certification in business administration, human resources or related fields;
- University degree in human resources, business or public administration is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of relevant experience in personnel and business processes management;
- Knowledge of the conditions of service of the UN Common System or of international organizations is an asset.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
- This post is for local recruitment only; all travel, interview and relocation costs, if any, incurred to take up an appointment at the duty station in Bonn are at the expense of the applicant.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension