The Volunteer Services Centre (VSC) is responsible for providing timely and high-quality transactional services in the identification and recruitment of international UN Volunteers, as well as in the management of the conditions of service of volunteers globally. VSC works in close collaboration with the Volunteer Advisory Services and Volunteer Solutions Sections at headquarters, as well as with Regional Offices and Field Units to ensure seamless and consolidated services in accordance with regulations and rules, pertinent policies and internal procedures.
Reporting to the Operations Associate, Volunteer Services, who coordinates volunteer services for a specific portfolio, the Operations Assistant, Volunteer Recruitment provides support for the appraisal and ready supply of suitable candidates for UNV assignments.
Identification of suitable candidates for UNV assignments
- Prepare and manage the advertisements for UNV assignments and publish them in line with established processes.
- Identify suitable candidates from the UNV database for predominantly standardized Descriptions of Assignments in diverse areas of expertise, for various agencies and partners;
- Contact short-listed candidates ascertaining their interest and immediate availability for the relevant assignment, and provide a short briefing on the Conditions of Service;
- As appropriate, conduct pre-developed remote video interviews for shortlisting candidates;
- Conduct suitability calls for submitted candidates as required;
- Comply with all procedures pertaining to the selection of volunteers for specific assignments;
- Check references and verify performance appraisals for selected candidates ensuring that they match established standards of competence and integrity;
- Implement the recruitment component of the Volunteer Management Applications Modules (VMAM);
- Check recommendations on the performance of former UN Volunteers and UN staff before inclusion of profiles into the database and/or the file of the UN Volunteer/candidate;
- Keep internal and external parties updated on status of identifications/submissions and liaising with candidates, Regional Office, Field Units and recruitment partners as required;
- Liaise with Operations Clerks, Roster for tracking qualified candidates and other necessary information;
- Inform candidates on their non-selection as applicable;
- Support the preparation of statistical reports on activities performed.
Assessment of incoming applications for UNV specific service lines
- Appraise general suitability of newly registered profiles and earmark them according to set criteria for professions in need for UNV service lines;
- Validate and/or correct profession and position codes selected by applicants during the registration process;
- Assist in outreach missions and information events on behalf of UNV, including meeting prospective candidates for individual discussions/advice.
Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide technical inputs, presentations and briefs in support of the Centre’s trainings and events;
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Provide inputs and feedback for the improvement of IT support systems and related processes that enable the Centre’s timely and quality delivery.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Knowledge of recruiting issues, procedures, and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations to secure quality candidates
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, Inter-Agency Coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Secondary education with additional training in business administration, human resources or related areas.
- 5 years of relevant experience, including at least 2 years in personnel recruitment.
- Fluency in English;
- Working knowledge of French;
- Proficiency in an additional official UN language is an asset.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
- This post is for local recruitment only; all travel, interview and relocation costs, if any, incurred to take up an appointment at the duty station in Bonn are at the expense of the applicant.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension