Section/Unit: Management Support Unit
Reports to: Project Management Specialist
Budgeted level: SC 5
Duration of Employment: 12 Months
The Regional Bureau for Arab States of the United Nations Development Programme has an office located in Beirut (Lebanon) which serves as a platform for operation for the Regional Programme.
The Management Support Unit (MSU) provides various administrative, operational and procurement support services to all UNDP-RBAS’ Regional Programme projects and/or activities that are implemented across the Arab countries; from basic information management and administrative duties to complex business activities.
Under the general guidance of the Project Management Specialist and the direct supervision of the Project Management Analyst, the incumbent will be responsible for administrational and programme support tasks.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, as well as rules and regulations and administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNDP.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Assist in operational services;
- Assist in project maintenance and assets management;
- Assist in knowledge building and knowledge sharing;
- Assist in administrative tasks;
- Any other task assigned by the Project Management Specialist and Project Management Consultant;
Supports administration and implementation of operational management strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies;
- Assist in preparing contracts for services required to carry out conferences and meetings on both national and regional levels. This includes:
- Prepare request for quotations, price analysis and comparison, preparation of cost breakdowns and complete documentation needed to request contracts from UNDP;
- Follow up on contract implementation before, during and after the conference and/or meeting;
- Responsible for managing and maintaining office vehicles tasks including and not limited to: maintaining vehicles in a clean and tidy fashion, internally and externally; regular visual checking of vehicles and report all defects and other concerns; responsible for undertaking periodic checks of tires, brakes, batteries, lights and so on; ensuring accurate records of all vehicles usage, costs and maintenance are kept and maintained at all times; initiating rapid follow up of all reported defects, providing assistance to vehicle users as necessary in the event of breakdowns and accidents and so on; responsible for arranging for vehicles to be serviced regularly;
Provides support to RBAS’ Regional Programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Support in developing and implementing business processes for regional projects;
- Responsible for administrative matters relating to official travel of the staff, consultants, and experts and prepare the travel authorizations;
- Receipt of applications for internship and long listing of candidates according to UNDP rules;
- Assist in managing the Regional Programme lease office Lease Management contracts, office expansion work and relocation (if any);
Supports procurement processes for RBAS’ Regional Programme:
- Draft official correspondence on procurement related activities when requested;
- Support the organization of procurement processes including the preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation;
- Assists in contract management;
- Liaises and coordinates in procurement-related matters with UNDP Country Office and the Regional Hub in Amman when requested;
- Assist in preparing and organizing national and regional meetings and workshops;
- Send all required documentation to the procurement unit in order to issue Purchase Orders (POs);
Assist in other processes for RBAS’ Regional Programme:
- Calculate the entitlements of the participants and process the required payments (per diem and terminals when applicable);
- Verify certification of payments and invoices from travel agents, event organizers, hotels and their suppliers against terms of contracts and actual services rendered; then process payment through UNDP Country Office and the Regional Hub in Amman;
- Process and follow up on the payments of experts and consultants;
- Prepare Travel Claim Forms for reimbursement of expenditures, for submission to the UNDP country office and the Regional Hub in Amman Payments Officer;
- Act as the Regional Programme office security focal point: identifying and immediate reporting of suspicious mail, persons and/or objects that may cause a security concern and/or threat to UNDP CO Security Focal Point, UNDSS and the Regional Programme’s senior management when needed;
- Support in monitoring the proper functioning of equipment in common areas, such as: conference room equipment, CCTVs, fire extinguishers, automatic doors, etc.
- Coordinate and insure small one-time repairs, those of a more important nature to be done in consultation with the Management Committee.
- Assist in managing office assets, as requested, through keeping up to date inventory list, receipts and other relevant documents and/or lists; perfuming physical check when and if requested;
- Perform stocktaking of expendable office equipment and supplies and replenish stock as needed;
- Conducts work necessary to complete administrative paper work (licenses, government forms, UNLPs …. etc);
Ensures proper data clean-up and filing focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Ensure regular data clean up, filing and maintenance of data bases;
- Prepares data reporting upon request.
- Reports to projects in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches;
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Excellent drafting and oral skills in English.
Planning, Organizing and Multi-tasking
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships;
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet project needs and deadlines.
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acts as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitates and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creates synergies through self-control;
- Manages conflict;
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in the field of business management, social sciences or a related field with at least 2 years of relevant work experience; Previous UN experience is preferable.
- Fluency in English and Arabic languages are required; Knowledge of another UN languages is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position.
UNDP seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities, and that staff members are able to keep an appropriate balance between work and private life.
Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 12 months