- Finalized/up-dated nationally determined contributions and national mid-century strategies and communicated to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- Improved inter-institutional awareness and coordination at political and technical level of the Paris Agreement and the corresponding national commitments;
- Established or strengthened measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems, with countries getting on track with Paris Agreement transparency requirements;
- Establishment of concrete sectoral guidelines for the implementation of the Paris Agreement in each of the Eastern Partners, especially in the field of energy;
- Advanced alignment with EU acquis as provided by bilateral agreements with EU and in the context of the Energy Community Treaty;
- Increased mobilization of climate finance, and
- Enhanced adaptation planning.
- Assume primary responsibility for the daily project implementation both organizational and substantive matters, budgeting, planning, controlling the project expenditures and general monitoring of the project as per UNDP rules and procedures;
- Coordinate project activities to ensure project effective implementation and achievement of all the expected results in accordance with UNDP Project Document in a cost effective manner meeting the established internal and external deadlines.
- Plans and reports in terms of technical content including Annual Work Plan (AWP), Annual Project Progress Report, Quarterly progress updates/reports, Terminal Project report etc.;
- Supervises and coordinates the project and its results in accordance with the Project Document and the UNDP rules and procedures;
- Assumes primary responsibility for the day-to-day project management, including both organizational and substantive matters, budgeting, planning and general monitoring of the project;
- Prepares technical reports in specific area of expertise (climate change/Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC); Monitoring Reporting Verification (MRV); etc.); coordinates technical work under the national component of the regional project;
- Technically supports Belarus Country Office and Istanbul Regional Hub regional project component, supports corresponding regional activities; provides technical inputs into various UNDP corporate technical documents;
- Provides effective support to mobilization of technical expertise and financial resources of the project:
- drafts TORs aligned with the project document outputs and expected results; coordinates TOR development with UNDP CO, UNDP IRH and national partners (as necessary) in terms of expected results; in coordination with UNDP CO secures ownership and participation of key national partners from line ministries in the project’s technical work;
- Exercises responsibility and oversight over the hiring of knowledgeable national experts and their work, in order to implement activities and ensures quality deliverables;
- Supervises the technical national consultants’ teams, provides leadership and guidance; acts as a quality assurance for all the technical deliverables;
- Ensures effective team leadership by holding periodical technical staff meetings, checking progress towards delivery of technical reports, ensures quality of deliverables; facilitates national partners’ involvement and ownership over the technical knowledge products;
- Organizes workshops and trainings needed during the project;
- Coordinates project activities with other related technical assistance programs in the Republic of Belarus;
- Monitors project risks and performance indicators; keep logs of risks, issues, lessons learned, quality management, and project implementation monitoring (in accordance with UNDP procedures);
- Undertakes any other actions related to the project as requested by UNDP.
- Reviews, follow-ups and finalizes all technical reports, best practices, lessons learned, publications, etc. prepared by the project;
- Consolidates and analyzes country challenges, needs, current status of Paris Agreement progress implementation in the context of SDGs and Eastern Partnership (EaP) agenda;
- Liaises and closely consults with the ICTA/Regional Project Manager in order to ensure that technical direction of the project implementation at national level is aligned with the regional work and with the overall project document and (AWP);
- Ensures provision of technical information and briefs, inputs to ICTA/Regional Project Manager and supports various UNDP corporate reports, briefs, inputs into policy papers, advocacy and information materials etc.
- Organizes and facilitates technical events at national level and supports the exchange of information/experiences during regional events, with the participation of other beneficiary countries (as agreed with the ICTA/Project Manager);
- Assists the ICTA/Regional Project Manager in organizing regional events, by identifying themes based on national needs/context to support the framing and design the regional dialogue agenda;
- Assists in developing NDC meetings/events formats to optimize peer-to-peer learning and south-south exchange;
- Oversees logistics related activities of national NDC or other technical events (or participation of national partners in regional events) in particular ensures the participation of all the relevant key stakeholders in NDC implementation and ensures overall smooth dialogue;
- Designs targeted sessions for discussions on NDC/MRV/National Adaptation Plan (NAP) related policy issues at the national or regional NDC events;
- Consolidates and analyzes national experiences from NDC meetings and shares these experiences;
- Contributes to the development of knowledge products (eg. guidance, documents, articles, blogs etc)
- Supports the preparation of case studies and lessons learned based on technical work carried out in the country and under the project;
- Prepares and delivers presentations (on technical and NDC events), briefing materials, talking points, contributions to corporate materials etc.
- Guides and coordinates the work of the project team, national and international consultants and subcontractors and oversee its compliance with the agreed work plan;
- Supervises work of the project team and ensure compliance with the agreed plans and delivery and high quality of the results in accordance with respective Terms of Reference.
- Maintains regular contacts with the UNDP Country Office on project implementation issues of their respective competence;
- Liaises with relevant ministries, other national and international relevant institutions in order to involve them in project activities as necessary and gather and disseminate information relevant to the project;
- Ensures proper information coverage of project activities and PR in accordance with the respective UNDP rules and procedures;
- Ensures adequate information flow, discussions and feedback among the various stakeholders of the project;
- Coordinates project activities with other related technical assistance programs in Belarus;
- Assists in organizing negotiations on cooperation with national government bodies and potential donors in order to identify and mobilize additional resources.
- Takes responsibility for ensuring the practical tasks required to effectively implement the M&E plan are performed and that an appropriate database is established to enter, process and generate materials required to measure project progress towards indicators.
- The National Technical Coordinator will play a central role in supporting the midterm and final UNDP Independent Evaluations.
- Job knowledge and expertise: understands thematic areas of climate change, as well as of climate change groundwork in the country; understands the main processes and methods of work regarding the position including NDC process under the UNFCCC and knowledge of climate change concepts related to NDCs, Paris Agreement and linkages between climate issues and sustainable development; understands what project management is, applies practical knowledge of financial and budgeting processes; manages effectively financial, human and material resources of the project;
- Result Orientation: assesses the performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work; demonstrates ability to manage data and prioritize tasks; is accountable for project implementation and team deliverables, anticipates constraints and identifies solutions;
- Communication: builds professional networks with partners; communicates clearly; presents ideas clearly both in Russian and English; report writing skills; persuades others to embrace new ideas.
- University degree in either of following areas: Economics, Energy, Environment/natural resource management, climate change mitigation and/or adaptation or another relevant field;
- Advanced degree in the relevant areas is an asset;
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in project implementation:
- At least 1 year of work experience in relevant areas: climate change, Paris Agreement key technical areas; sustainable development is an asset;
- Work experience in implementation of the EU-financed development projects is an asset;
- Fluency in Russian, English and knowledge of Belarusian is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: initial contract is for 6 months (50 % workload), subject to extension based on performance results.