- Coordinate day-to-day implementation of programme activities from substantive, administrative and financial points of view resulting in holistic and cross-practiced programme implementation;
- Provide substantive and technical expertise for the implementation and assessment of the programme including collection and compilation of relevant background information and statistic data;
- Undertake all necessary measures for planning and implementation of the strategies and activities as outlined in the joint UN programme on strengthening the management of violent extremist prisoners and returning foreign terrorist fighters detention programme;
- Monitor all aspects of programme implementation and identify challenges and propose corrective actions to the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer to expedite implementation;
- Draft detailed work plans, accompanying budgets and budget revisions for all activities;
- Prepare monthly/semiannual/annual progress reports on programme implementation, as well as summary of achievements report and donor reports;
- Prepare required documentation and inputs including background information, briefing notes, welcoming remarks, presentations, as well as provide inputs for relevant documents as required;
- Provide general administrative, financial and procurement support for the delivery of technical assistance and oversee all financial and administrative processes to ensure timely completion and compliance with UN rules and regulations;
- Undertake associated desk research, field / monitoring missions within the framework of programme implementation;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation framework for programme implementation in accordance with UN rules as well as donor organizations’ requirements and ensure timely and properly implementation of programme monitoring & evaluation plan.
- Procure goods and services to initiate activities, including drafting TORs and work specifications jointly with programme support unit / operations to ensure qualitative and objective procurement of services;
- Support the exchange of knowledge and promising practices in the management of violent extremist prisoners and returned foreign terrorist fighters including prevention of radicalization to violence in prisons, and promote the whole-of-society approach in prevention of violent extremism and terrorism;
- Ensure effective liaison with stakeholders and counterparts (national government agencies, civil society organizations, research institutes, donor community, etc.) actively engaged in prevention of violent extremism and terrorism related work including capacity building activities for law enforcement agencies at the regional or country level;
- Together with the International Project Coordinator, contribute to development of funding proposals and other relevant programme-related documents, including contribution to substantive correspondence for a) resource mobilization, b) partnership building, c) reporting;
- Coordinate thematic activities with UNODC Regional Office for Central Asia and UNODC Headquarters;
- Perform other duties that may be required by UNODC Senior Management.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNODC;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Advanced university degree in law, political or social science, criminal justice, criminology, international relations, or public administration is required. A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Eight years of relevant effective professional experience in project management is required.
- Experience in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice and / or prison reform is a strong asset.
- Experience in criminal justice matters as well as familiarity with project formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, as well as exposure to international development cooperation is highly desirable.
- Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and results-focused reports.
- Proven experience working with Government, civil society, international organizations and donors.
- Excellent written and oral English and Russian language skills are required.
- Fluency in Kazakh is highly desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One year with possible extension (subject to funds availability and performance evaluation)