UNDP is a key partner to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis (TB) and Malaria (Global Fund/ GF) and serves as Principal Recipient (PR) of the Global Fund (GF) grants. During the years, Tuberculosis is a major health problem and a threatening disease in Iran from the far past. Many interventions made a decreasing trend in TB notifications rates from 143 per 100,000 in 1964 to 13 per 100,000 in 2006. Iran was committed to scaling up TB care with special emphasis on the vulnerable populations (patients suffering from Multi Drug Resistant, prisoners and people living with HIV/AIDS). For this purpose, the project of Tuberculosis Prevention in High Burden Areas in the Islamic Republic of Iran was funded by the Global Fund and started from 1st October 2008 till 30th September 2013 which was in line with the Global TB Control Strategy. This project was mainly focusing on the people of poor and high TB prevalence provinces which were neighboring two high burden countries of Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan have established strong national tuberculosis (TB) programs (NTP) which have to date successfully ensured appropriate TB prevention, care and control services to populations, including migrants, refugees, returnees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs). However, the harmonization of the provision of some TB services is not yet fully formalized among the three countries. The information on migrants, refugees, returnees and IDPs with TB is not systematically and routinely collected within the National TB Programme (NTP) networks of the three countries, and if exists, it is fragmented and not standardized.
To address these issues, the current multi-country project started from 1st January 2019 till 31st December 2021, funded by the Global Fund is focusing on specific objectives through the development and implementation of well-identified interventions and activities. These objectives are highlighted hereafter:
Objective 1: Strengthening collaboration, information sharing and diagnosis/treatment service referrals between health services reaching Afghan refugees, returnees and migrants and the respective national TB control programs in the host countries, with the aim of finding and treating TB cases among mobile Afghan populations.
Objective 2: Strengthening cross-border collaboration, information sharing and referrals among NTPs in the three countries, to ensure effective collaboration between three countries and to ensure treatment is not disrupted for patients relocating from one country to another.
Objective 3: Strengthening the capacity of the national TB control program in Afghanistan to effectively diagnose and treat TB cases amongst returnees.
The main goal of the project is creating a catalytic effect for increased impact among Afghan refugees, returnees and mobile populations in Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan.
UNDP ‘s management role consists of ensuring successful implementation of the multi-country grant activities by the Sub-Recipients (Center for Communicable Disease Control, TB Department, Ministry of Health and Medical Education (MOHME) of Iran), effective collaboration with the two mentioned neighboring countries to ensure programmatic and financial accountability and capacity building of national and international counterparts on programming, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and financial management. For the implementation of the Multi-country TB Project, the UNDP Iran has identified a coordination function to coordinate and oversee the implementation and to ensure compliance of the terms and conditions of the grant agreements with the Global Fund and UNDP rules, policies and procedures. The incumbent coordinates with the relevant government stakeholders, regional partners, the Global Fund and other key stakeholders in the health and development sector as well as the relevant UN agencies involving in the project (WHO, IOM and UNHCR).
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative (Programme) (ARR-P), the National Project Coordinator is responsible for supporting the technical and financial management of the UNDP Global Fund Multi-Country Programme on TB in Iran. S/he is responsible for ensuring timely and efficient implementation of Programme activities in line with approved work plan and budget and signed Sub-Recipient agreement. The incumbent will ensure monitoring of activities implemented by the sub-recipients. S/he will represent the Programme at the assigned level and liaise with relevant stakeholders and technical partners. Furthermore, s/he will work in close collaboration with the CO Management, Programme Support Unit (PSU), Operations teams and programme staff in the Health and Development Unit of the UNDP CO.
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of the Global Fund Multi-Country TB Project in Iran
- Efficient management of the Global Fund Multi-Country TB Project and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Support creation of strategic partnerships for effective coordination and programme implementation in collaboration with all stakeholders including the SR, key government bodies, national and international technical partners and community organizations
- Provision of top-quality advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
1. Ensures implementation of the Global Fund Multi-country TB project strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supervise the technical and financial implementation of the grant;
- Supporting and monitoring of the grant activities for timely implementation;
- Support in fund management for the services provided, implementation of the fund tracking system and reporting, as well as participation in the projects’ audit, control on the follow-up;
- Provides monitoring and evaluation support, review and follow up on the SR performance and prepare the required reports ensure adherence to timely action on conditions precedent and management actions; and ensure quality and timely reporting to UNDP;
- Analyzes the Programme implementation bottlenecks and contributes to the development of solutions;
- Prepare the Progress Updates and Disbursement Requests (PU/DR), delivery reports and other requested reports by the UNDP and GF for activities implemented by or supported by UNDP under the multi-country grant and to keep the Programme Management Unit (PMU) team updated on the financial resource status of the programme.
- Coordinates the implementation of the Multi-country programme with Sub-Recipient and other regional/technical partners through organizing coordination meetings and other project review meetings.
2. Ensures efficient management of the Global Fund Multi-Country TB project and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures effective management of the work plan, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) plan, budgets, closure plan and effective application of UNDP RBM tools;
- Conducting M&E activities such as field visits for On-Site Data Verification and preparing reports and recommendation for better implementation and quality assurance purposes;
- Ensures the operational management of the Multi-country programme, initiate and manage project activities - in accordance with UNDP and Global Fund rules and procedures;
- Close monitoring of the project work-plan, substantially and financially, analyzing the progress, identifies operational and financial problems, develops solutions and providing the project team with constructive recommendations;
- Provision of guidance to the implementing partners on routine implementation of projects, review of technical and financial reports to make sure that they are in line with the approved work-plan and budget assumptions;
- Acts as focal point for TB programme in the UNDP CO;
- Supports the implementation of Performance Framework as agreed with the Global Fund;
- Aggregates reports on activities, outputs and outcomes.
3. Support creation of strategic partnerships for effective coordination and programme implementation focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support strategic partnerships for effective programme implementation with the SR, key government and international agencies, national and provincial technical partners, and other key stakeholders;
- Coordinates the overall implementation of the programme with the National TB Control Program Manager and National Programme Director in the Center for Communicable Disease Controls;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Development of effective partnerships with the UNDP regional office, relevant national ministries, Pakistan and Afghanistan UNDP Cos if needed, and ensure timely national reporting/updating as PR representative of the TB multi-country Programme to all key stakeholders;
- Build and maintain excellent relations with the regional office, engaged UN Agencies in the programme in Iran (esp. WHO, UNHCR and IOM), government institutions, bilateral and multilateral organizations, to support the achievement of programme outcomes
- Analysis of key development and TB sectoral policies currently being discussed and implemented in the country to ensure the sustainability of the programme in the future;
- Maintains close coordination between the GF programme with other disease initiatives in the country to ensure and promote continuity, partnership building and avoid duplication of programmatic activities.
4. Ensures top-quality advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Professional growth through active learning;
- Supporting the communication team to prepare the up-to-dated information for uploading onto UNDP Iran website;
- Support in development of policies and strategies that will address the disease endemic and needs in collaboration with national and strategic partners.
- Coordinates the capacity development trainings, technical support meetings and monitoring and evaluation visits in line with the work plan.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Advanced university degree in medical, social sciences, programme management or other relevant fields of knowledge preferably with specialized certification in Public Health, Epidemiology or Business Management.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in project; management including design, budgeting, implementation and oversight of development projects.
- Experience in collaborating and liaising with various stakeholders including national and international organizations;
- Demonstrated experience in grants and/or contract management;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Full proficiency in MS Office applications. Strong MS Excel skills for budgeting tasks;
- Knowledge and understanding of TB and Health issues (other communicable diseases) is an advantage;
- Knowledge of UNDP policies, programming frameworks and procedures is an advantage.
- Fluency in Farsi and English, both written and spoken.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: Six months with possibility of extension