Under the guidance and overall supervision of the Deputy Director of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Branch of the Operations and Advocacy Division (OAD) of OCHA, the National Humanitarian Affairs Officer (NHAO) will liaise with the Government of Qatar and other Qatari authorities to facilitate and support dialogue, coordination and cooperation regarding humanitarian operations in crisis settings, as guided by the Memorandum of Understanding between OCHA and the Government of Qatar. The NHAO will report directly to OAD, but work in close collaboration with other sections of OCHA.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Director for MENA and under the day-to-day guidance of the Chief of Section, the incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Research, analyze and present information relating to humanitarian crises and contribute to the preparation of written documents, including drafting sections of studies, reports, background papers, policy guidelines, etc.
- Support national authorities to expand operational engagement both regionally and internationally to address emergency situations and to strengthen the response capacity of both the host country and affected countries.
- Support OCHA’s engagement by developing and maintaining networks and operational partnerships with key interlocutors on humanitarian issues of concern.
- Organize meetings, seminars, conferences, workshops with partners to facilitate exchanges of professional expertise and views on humanitarian subjects/issues.
- Maintain awareness of current humanitarian affairs and related issues, including relevant policy and operational considerations, and respond to inquiries and information requests internally and externally.
- Provide technical advice and assistance and support disaster assessments and trainings on humanitarian issues.
- Advocate effectively to mobilize resources for humanitarian operations and for OCHA, pooled funds and humanitarian response plans.
- Perform other duties as required.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension