- Researches, collects, verifies, analyses information relevant to the observance of international human rights and humanitarian law in the mission area;
- Supports and advises UN and humanitarian actors in mission area on protection activities and compliance with human rights, and where appropriate, relevant authorities, including on the implementation of outcomes of UN human rights mechanisms;
- Conducts investigations of abuses and violations of human rights and international humanitarian law;
- Ensures the timely entry of accurate and verified human rights cases in an established database in compliance with established standards;
- Integrates UN-developed methodology into human rights monitoring, reporting and investigation activities and supports the operational aspects of planning and implementing of monitoring and investigation activities;
- Writes, reviews, coordinates, if needed, and ensures the timely delivery of a variety of reports, briefings and other types of communications in compliance with established standards and in particular with respect to reporting on human rights situation;
- Liaises with other UN actors present in the mission area for the collection and verification of information on the human rights situation and informs on human rights considerations that should be taken into account by other actors, including those delivering humanitarian response or coordinating emergency preparedness and response activities, as well as by the UN mission in respect of future operations;
- Advocates with relevant authorities and other influential actors to stop or prevent human rights violations, seeks remedial action by the authorities to prevent similar violations from occurring in the future;
- Contributes to the integration of gender perspectives/considerations and specific women/girls’ rights issues in all activities;
- Ensures cooperation and appropriate communication with the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in the sharing of human rights information and with respect to the project implementation;
- Supports more senior staff and/or team leaders in staffing, planning and budgeting as required;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, political science, international relations, social sciences or in a related area.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in assigned geographic locations in conflict situations in the area of human rights and humanitarian response, including in the causes and resolution of human rights conflicts in accordance with international standards.
- Previous experience in humanitarian interventions, human rights monitoring, investigations and reporting as well as programme management is required
- Fluency in English (both oral and written), is required. Knowledge of local language is an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 6 months