Desired start date: 12/06/2019
Duration of the mission: 06 months
Location: Kachin State. Based in Bhamo Town
ABOUT THE MISSION…
SI has been in Myanmar since 2008. For the first three years SI worked in the Delta in response to the devastating Cyclone Nargis. In 2011, SI expanded to three new regions (Dry Zone, Rakhine, and Chin State) focusing on Livelihoods, Food Security, Shelter, and WASH. In January 2012 SI expanded to Kachin State to respond to an emergency situation created by the displacement of Kachin population affected by the arm conflict.
SI currently has a coordination base in Yangon, with field bases in the Rakhine and Kachin States. In 2018, 17 international employees and 265 national employees are working within SI to implement contracts (on-going or finished) in WASH, FSL, Emergency programs (NFI, Shelter, WASH, Food) funded by OFDA, DFID/HARP, ECHO, CIAA, Centre de Crise (CDC), OCHA and UNICEF.
In Kachin SI manages all WASH related activities in 9 IDP camps in Governmental control area and 5 camps through partnerships in Non-Governmental control area. Over the last 7 years SI empowered IDP’s in Wash management and related issues using cash based approach with accurate M&E tools to follow evolutions.
Economic opportunities are limited for IDP’s, therefore SI is supporting business creation (Income generating activities) , vocational trainings, and agricultural activities.
As the Kachin conflict is ongoing, combats are generating population displacement. Through a Rapid Response Mechanism SI is answering displaced population needs in WASH, SHELTER and NFI’s.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the Hierarchical management of the Field Coordinator and the functional supervision of the HR and Finance Coordinators, the Administrative Manager carries out administrative, HR, accounting and financial management of his/her base, in compliance with donors and SOLIDARITES International procedures.
- He/she organizes administrative support to the programs and logistics team and carries out budget follow up in conjunction with the managers.
- The Administrative Manager ensures that Solidarités International’s Human Resources policy is properly implemented as well as of the supervision of all administrative activities at base level.
- He/she controls and validates SI implementing partners reports and supporting documentation ensuring that applicable procedures are implemented and respected.
- He/she will have to ensure a mentoring/coaching to the national admin manager from when he/she will be recruited.
- Financial and Budget Management and Monitoring
- Cash and Accounting Management
- Team management
THE MAIN CHALLENGES OF THE POSITION ARE:
General objective: Develop base administrative team skills to enable a national recruitment of the Administrative Manager in 1st trimester of 2020. Specific stakes and challenges are:
- Update HR set up of Admin department
- Reinforces technical skills of the administrative team while preparing the handover of the manager position to national Administrative Manager. Deadline: end of the year 2019
- Reinforce Base’s skills (admin and log) on partnership management.
Other major and related challenges:
- Communication in a non-English speaking context: The administrative team and partners English level is low.
- Local partners strong follow-up and capacity building in total autonomy
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Re-design the administrative department
- Clarify dispatch of responsibilities within the department with the partner management included.
- Empower administrative team giving them more and more responsibilities according to their JD and objectives
- Follow-up new and ongoing partnerships with national NGOs, as per admin department.
- the Administrative Team is composed by 5 persons. The team is strongly committed and willing to improve their skills; English language is still a barrier for improvement and autonomy of each colleague within the team has to be reinforced. There is a very positive dynamic and ambiance within the support teams.
- In April 2019, the total budget for Kachin is around 1.500.000 USD divided in 4 different grants.
- 2 to 5 year superior education in accounting (BTEC HND, 12th Grade, associate’s degree, bachelor or master degree) in relevant fields.
- Minimum of two years proven experience in HR and financial management. (with minimum 6 month in an international context preferably in emergency or humanitarian contexts)
- Experience in sensitive environments (post-conflict, conflict), IDP/refugee camp experience is an added value.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Knowledge in administrative, human resources and financial
- Knowledge of Solidarites International rules and procedures in terms of all human resources and financial matters preferred.
- Software to manage: SAGA, HOMERE and Microsoft suite with very good Excel skills
- Training or coaching previous experiences is a mandatory
- Previous experience of local partner capacity building and management is mandatory.
- Capacity to delegate and motivate a team
- Team management
- Experience to build team capacity and manage daily workload at the same time
- Fluent English level written and spoken in mandatory
Other desirable qualities:
- Autonomy – Sense of diplomacy – Patience very appreciates when it comes to deal with local partner – Asian experience valued.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: according to experience from 1980 euros gross per month (1800€ plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 500 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
[LIVING CONDITIONS : ]
Bhamo is a secondary low-key town in Kachin State in Northern Myanmar, located 186km south of the capital city of Kachin State (Myitkyina).
From Yangon, it takes a 3-hour flight to get to Bhamo, through Mandalay. The security situation in Kachin is stable and potentially volatile. Families can visit expatriates in Bhamo.
SI has a comfortable guesthouse for expats with 5 rooms, 2 bathrooms, a large kitchen, and big communal areas and terraces. The guesthouse is equipped with basic furniture (beds, tables, cupboards, hot water…) and mosquito nets, bed linen, towels and fans. A cook can prepare dinner upon request.
The office is situated 10 minutes by bike from the guesthouse. Expatriates move independently by bike or on foot (a car is available to travel to the camps).
In Bhamo, there are limited expatriates community, Bhamo social/night life is calm, most of bars and restaurants are closing around 9:30 PM. A lot of local restaurants/bars, shops and a big market are available and there is also a local gym and jogging is possible.
Exceptionally and upon validation of the FC/HoM, it is possible to request spending the weekend in Yangon.