Right To Play is a global organization committed to improving the lives of children and youth affected by conflict, disease and poverty. Established in 2000, Right To Play has pioneered a unique play-based approach to learning and development which focuses on quality education, life skills, health, gender equality, child protection and building peaceful communities. With programming in over 15 countries, Right To Play transforms the lives of more than one million children each week, both inside and outside of the classroom. In addition to our work with children, Right To Play advocates with parents, local communities, and governments to advance the fundamental rights of all children.
The Mozambique country office is currently searching for a qualified and self-driven candidate to join a team of professionals in Mozambique as Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Specialist-MELS)
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Specialist (MELS) reports directly to the Country Director (CD). The incumbent receives technical advice and supervision from the Regional Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Manager. The MELS collaborates with staff, not only at the country office level, but also within the broader region and across the organization, globally. The primary roles and responsibilities of the MELS are to (a) manage and implement Right To Play’s country-level monitoring, evaluation and Learning plan, within the RTP global Monitoring and Evaluation and Learning (MEL) framework and specific to country strategies, needs and contexts; (b) coordinate and supervise the monitoring of program activities, and outcomes and support the development of program reports; (c) support program planning at the country level by conducting appropriate assessments and through the provision of technical assistance; (d) Manage country specific Programs program evaluations; and, (e) help the country office utilize the findings in their planning and decision-making. The MELS leads the MEL system across the country and plays an active part in the global Right To Play Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) community by contributing to the organization’s understanding of its program approaches and outcomes.
Job Responsibility #1: Output and Outcome Monitoring (35% of Time)
· Develop and implement an effective system for output monitoring data management and sharing data from project sites to country office.
· Ensure that data is collected, cleaned and analyzed in time for submission dates to Country Office and to Regional office
· Ensure data quality and integrity by periodically conducting spot checks and/or field visits to verify data and/or investigate any data anomalies;
· Ensure capacity building of country office and field Staff on MEL processes and systems.
· Develop and implement country-specific plans and budgets for outcome assessment activities, ensuring alignment with key program measurement dates.
· Coordinate and implement program outcome assessment once a year.
· Support the development/refinement of data collection and data entry instruments required for the program.
· Conducts data audits and checks data to ensure accuracy in data collection and entry.
· Oversees high level analysis on quantitative and qualitative data collected.
· Ensures data storage is in line with standards and norms and prescribed in the Global MEL Strategy.
· Takes the lead in responding to the organization and Donors Data Quality Assessments and other external reviews and verifications of program MEL activities;
· Identifies innovations and improvements to enhance effectiveness of the Country database management system.
Job Responsibility #2: Evaluations and Studies (30% of Time)
· Coordinate overall process of country specific Program evaluations such as Needs assessments, Baseline, Mid-Term and Final evaluation
· Lead the review/rating of technical Proposals for consultant selection, and manage consultants over the evaluation phases
· Ensures timely and quality completion of evaluations and submission of evaluation reports
· Compile country-specific results and findings summary from evaluation, according to reporting templates and guidelines and submit as required
· Support research initiatives as appropriate and provide critical input and feedback throughout the conceptualizing, planning and implementation of researches
· Lead the identification and establishment of suitable academic/research partners at country Level
Job Responsibility #3: Capacity building for MEL through trainings and systems development (10% of Time):
· Assesses country-level capacity for successful implementation of MEL work including staff skills and knowledge, data entry and data storage systems and develop strategies for increasing capacity.
· Train partners and Right To Play staff in output monitoring and outcome assessments procedures and standards, tools.
· Trains data enumerators such as Field Facilitators and partner staff on data collection tools and processes.
· Provides workshops as needed on MEL for country staff, partners and stakeholders.
Job Responsibility #4: Supporting and facilitating country planning processes (10% of Time):
· Supports Country Office and Regional Office in developing logic frameworks for new programs and reviewing logic frameworks for existing programs including the identification of appropriate outcomes and SMART indicators.
· Support program teams to ensure indicators are linked to appropriate evidence/backup within the database;
· Support country teams on programme and strategic planning process especially on setting targets and measubility
· In collaboration with other staff in the Country Office and the Regional Office, identifies program and decision-making implications of MEL findings.
· Develops summary materials and delivers presentations on ME findings to staff, partners, beneficiaries, and/or other stakeholders.
Job Responsibility #5: Supporting the development and strengthening of RTP’s global MEL framework (5% of Time):
· Participates in RTP’s global MEL initiatives, ME workshops and trainings and consultations.
· Shares MEL good practices, lessons learned and other insights with RTP MEL colleagues.
· Maintains regular communications with the Regional MELO.
· Supports other global ME initiatives as required and as agreed to by the Country Director.
Job Responsibility #6: Dissemination of findings and integration into planning, and decision-making (5% of Time):
· Provides technical support to develop country-specific plans for reviewing, discussing, and sharing the results
· Lead the country specific activities (meetings, workshops) for reviewing, discussing sharing results
· Consolidate Country wide results for communication, learning and knowledge management purposes
· Work with Communication unit to develop appropriate materials (documents, presentations, etc…) that outline the results/findings.
· Identify key learning questions for discussion (e.g. related to program implications of findings, recommendations, etc…)
· Implements/lead appropriate mechanisms to ensure effective response and actions taken upon evaluations recommendations.
Job Responsibility #7: Other tasks as assigned (5% of Time):
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Must have)
· Mater Degree degree in social sciences, Project development or related discipline to MEL.
· Training in Monitoring and Evaluation such as university courses, workshops, certificates.
· 3 years of practical experience developing and implementing monitoring evaluation and learning frameworks (developing logic frameworks, outcomes, indicators, targets and data collection plans).
· 1 year of practical experience working with social development programs.
· 3 years leading and conducting major evaluations (Baseline, Midterm, final.)
· Proven knowledge and experience in development of both quantitative and qualitative data collection instruments
· Experience conducting high level analysis for quantitative data and qualitative data.
· Experience managing data sets (coordinating data entry, ensuring data quality, managing data confidential storage).
· Strong background in program evaluation methodologies
· Understanding of quantitative and qualitative research approaches and best practices, and of child-friendly data collection methods
· Knowledge of SMART indicators
· Computer literacy in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Internet and proven experience of other ICT systems for data base management
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Asset to have):
· Ability to work appropriately with a variety of populations and stakeholders, including children, youth, parents, teachers and school administrators, government, and other partners
· Experience designing and leading evaluation or research studies
· Experience conducting data collection with children
· Expertise and experience in training and capacity-building (e.g., developing and delivering workshops, mentoring and supporting colleagues, etc.)
· Expertise and experience in designing data collection tools both qualitative and quantitative
· Experience identifying program implications and recommendations from data findings
· Experience in monitoring and evaluation processes for NGO programs
· Advanced interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
· Strong analytical and conceptual skills to think and plan strategically and to identify trends.
· Strong problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work appropriately with a variety of populations and stakeholders, including children, youth, parents, teachers and school administrators, government, and other partners.
· Proven written communication and presentation skills, presenting evaluation findings through a variety of mediums— data visuals (graphs), reports and presentations
Ability to travel in country and internationally.
Ability to legally work in Mozambique, without sponsorship.
Note: The successful candidate will be employed as a local staff member of Mozambique. Compensation and benefits will follow the local package. This is not an international position
Compensation: We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including a flexible work policy (e.g. work from home and flex hours)
Employment Start Date: Immediately
Contract Duration: Long term engagement based on performance and availability of funds.