Position Title : Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Duty Station : IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 13 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Libya, and in close coordination with the relevant Programme Managers/Coordinators, and the Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer for Middle East and North Africa (MENA) in Cairo, the successful candidate will develop and oversee the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) aspects of all IOM programmes and projects in Libya and ensure their relevant and effective implementation, in line with the specific donors’ requirements.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop and lead the implementation of the overall framework for Mission’s projects M&E systems. He/she will be responsible for the supervision and coordination of M&E data collection and consolidation, including the preparation of monthly, quarterly or annual programmes/projects reviews, process and operations monitoring, real-time, mid-term and final evaluations and lessons-learned workshops; build staff capacity on M&E and ensure that M&E arrangements meet international standards and comply with donor agreements.
Work closely with project development teams to ensure M&E is embedded in project design and planning through elaboration and revision of the programmes/projects result matrix on a continuous basis, provide inputs in the areas of the objective hierarchy, indicators and monitoring mechanisms.
In collaboration with Programme/Project Managers, operational teams and implementing partners, ensure compliance with quantitative and qualitative monitoring requirements to provide relevant information for M&E of programme/project activities, and for complying with regular reporting requirements.
Guide the process for identifying the key performance questions, indicators and parameters for monitoring programmes/projects performance and achievements, for comparing it to purposes and targets, and for preparing evaluations; design the format for performance reports.
Design, test and regularly review information and data collection tools ensuring the compliance with relevant monitoring and reporting requirements. Provide advice and guidance on the information and data collection process in coordination with the monitoring and reporting focal points.
Prepare, compile and/or review monitoring reports, analyze them and identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation and take the necessary corrective actions; organize and ensure the regular sharing of M&E findings with relevant stakeholders in the Mission and other IOM offices/departments, and discuss and advise on monitoring data in the appropriate forum in a timely manner, particularly in terms of achieving objectives and implications for future action.
Prepare regular monitoring activities reports for inclusion in the Program Quarterly Report; ensure overall revision of reporting documents including but not limited to M&E activity plans and Final Evaluation Reports to ensure adherence to project objectives for submission to donors.
Work in close coordination with the Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and the Senior M&E Officers at the Office of Inspector General to plan and implement internal mid and end term evaluations as needed to ensure evaluation process and their findings meet IOM’s, member states and donor expectations.
In close consultation with Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and Office of the Inspector General (OIG), lead the selection, contracting of organizations/firms to be sub-contracted to implement external evaluations and special surveys/studies required for assessing project performance.
Represent IOM and participate in the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) process to ensure that the Migration dimension is reflected in its design and measurement framework.
Lead and/or participate in missions commissioned by external partners and donors and ensure access to M&E data by relevant stakeholders. Undertake regular visits to the field in coordination with project managers to provide advice, resolve issues and support implementation of M&E.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Science, Research Methods, Political Science, Development Studies, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven experience in the development, planning and implementation of programmes/project Monitoring and Evaluation systems, M&E methods and approaches (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory), facilitating learning-oriented analysis sessions of M&E data with multiple stakeholders, information/data analysis and report writing;
• Proven experience or capacity to lead and/or coordinate evaluative research assignments;
• Solid understanding of post-conflict environment and community development, with a focus on participatory processes and joint management;
• Experience in M&E system design, data processing and computers with familiarity in Results
Based Management (RBM) framework are highly desirable;
• Proven experience in information analysis and analytical report writing.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic, Spanish and French an advantage.
With frequent travel to field locations within Libya and Tunisia.
The position will be in Tunis, Tunisia; with possibility of relocation to Libya if and when the situation is conducive.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.