I. Position Information
Position title: Migration Health Expanded Program of Immunization Officer
Position grade: Ungraded
Duty station: Juba, South Sudan
Organizational unit: Migration Health Unit
Appointment type: Special Short Term Ungraded Contract, Six months with possibility of extension
II. Organizational Context and Scope Under the overall guidance of the IOM South Sudan Chief of Mission, under the direct supervision of the Migration Health Programme Coordinator, the incumbent will be accountable for supporting the implementation of the routine immunization activities in 27 health facilities and a number of outreach and mobile sites.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Support the setting up, implementation, coordination and monitoring of IOM’s routine immunization program in the 27 identified health facilities and relevant outreach and mobile sites
Recruit and train 54 vaccinators that will provide routine immunization in the 27 fixed health facilities and mobile sites.
Conduct rapid assessment to identify and map outreach and mobile immunization sites. Identify and map all out patient Therapeutic program (OTP) sites in the catchment areas of the 27 health facilities.
Coordinate with the organization running these OTP’s to implement routine immunization in these OTP’s.
Assess the functionality and adequacy of available cold chain including the number of cool boxes and advise accordingly.
Prepare micro plan for all health facilities.Support National Supplemental Immunization Activities and Pulse immunization campaigns.
Coordinate with other recipient of the same grant for effective coordinated implementation of country EPI program. Some of the other recipients of the same GAVI fund are MOH, UNICEF, WHO, CDC, JSI.
Represent IOM in the GAVI in country coordination mechanism, EPI technical working groups and any other forums that advocate for strengthening the EPI in SS.
Participate in the development of training materials for EPI staffs.
Train EPI staff and other health workers on routine immunization and cold chain implementation, monitoring and reporting.
Ensure proper forecasting of EPI related supplies to prevent any stock out of supplies in any of the facilities.
Provide periodic technical updates of IOM South Sudan EPI activities and documentation/dissemination of best practice materials in close coordination with the Migration Health Programme Coordinator.
Analyze weekly and monthly data, give feedback to field team with technical advice and contribute to regular reporting on project achievements, challenges encountered, pertinent developments and strategic needs for IOM South Sudan EPI and health programmes in collaboration with the Migration Health Programme Coordinator.
Monitor and analyses the projects’ progress towards achievement of indicators, outputs and outcomes, specifically aimed at increasing effectiveness, recommending specific actions for improvement, and supervise the development of evaluation protocols.
Assistance with project proposal development as required.
Perform other duties as may be assigned.
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing with Master’s degree in Public health from an accredited academic institution.
At least four years of international professional experience. Experience in Sub-Saharan Africa advantageous.
At least two years of Experience implementing Routine immunization in a wider scale.
Prior Experience in Budget management.
Experience in Project management cycle and leading Experience implementing EPI
Experience in implementing health services for migrants, refugee and displaced persons and other vulnerable groups; including early recovery or post crisis emergency health programming;
Experience in coordinating and liaising with government authorities.
Experience in developing protocols and guidelines for primary health care.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.