UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work carried out at HQ, Regional and Country Office levels, forms a contiguous spectrum of deep local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy. In this context, UNDP invests in the Global Policy Network (GPN), a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan. Within the GPN, the Crisis Bureau guides UNDP’s corporate crisis-related strategies and vision for crisis prevention, response and recovery.
The Migration and Displacement Advisor is the lead expert in the Migration and Displacement knowledge domain. S/he is based in the Regional Hub and reports to the Regional Hub Manager and the GPN’s Recovery Solutions and Human Mobility Team Leader. He/she will provide intellectual and strategic leadership as well as technical guidance on migration and displacement issues in the Africa Region, and represent UNDP in the wider humanitarian-development nexus, including with regional entities, the UN system, bilateral partners, external experts, etc.
In collaboration with other Advisors and Specialists in the Regional Hub, HQ, Country Offices, Global Policy Centers, and rosters of external advisors, s/he is responsible for leading the provision of technical expertise and policy and programme advisory services to Country Offices in Africa, the implementation of the regional programme, and, where appropriate, with key governments in the region, the World Bank, UN and external partners. S/he responds to requests from Country Offices and under the guidance of the Regional Hub Manager, and in collaboration with corporate support providers, such as the Country Support Management Team, the Crisis and Fragility Engagement and Policy Team and the SDG integrator Team. Working to ensure quality and coherent policy and programme advisory services within Africa and across other regions, as well as alignment with the Strategic Plan, the Migration and Displacement Advisor advances the credibility and recognition of UNDP’s capabilities on development approaches to migration and displacement and associated community of practices in particular the Poverty, Resilience, Governance, Environment and Climate Change, and Gender Communities of Practice.
Summary of Key Functions:
1. Substantive leadership and quality assurance of policy advisory services on migration and displacement in the Africa Region.
2. Coordination and delivery of technical assistance, policy development and programme support on migration and displacement to governments and UNDP Country Offices in Africa.
3. Substantive leadership for content development and curation of tools and resources on migration and displacement from across UNDP’s network of expertise.
4. Knowledge management and community of practice networking on migration and displacement in Africa and across other regions.
5. Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement for effective policy positioning on migration and displacement in the Africa Region.
1. Substantive leadership and quality assurance of policy advisory services on migration and displacement in the Africa Region:
• Navigate entry points and/or pivotal considerations for integrating migration and displacement issues within regional and country-specific strategies for achieving the SDGs and Agenda 2063: The Africa we want;
• Provide support policy advisory and programming services primarily to COs within Africa, that respond to country office needs, including through the provision of capacity building and backstopping to COs and UNCTs in Africa;
• Work with the Regional Bureau for Africa’s Country Advisors to ensure relevant, timely and multi-disciplinary response to Country needs for policy services on migration and displacement taking into account regional commitments such as the Intergovernmental Authority on Development’s Nairobi Declaration for Somali Refugees, the Kampala Declaration on Refugees, Returnees and Internally Displacement People in Africa, etc.;
• Collaborate substantively with COs and Regional Programmes to achieve regional/CO strategic goals and plans by supporting relevant regional initiatives and promoting synergies with the regional programmes in Africa;
• Provide support to COs in project design, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and results reporting in line with RBM guidelines, and support quality assurance, risk management and due diligence processes;
• Provide sector specific and technical policy advice for both development and crisis situations with emphasis on development approaches for migration and displacement;
• Provide support to COs conducting and engaging in assessments related to all forms of development approaches to migration and displacement in crisis and non-crisis situations;
• Ensure risks are monitored and managed across the portfolio of advisory engagements on migration and displacement;
• Contribute to developing the capacity of national counterparts in support of achieving the Strategic Plan, Africa region and other internationally agreed development goals as it relates to the migration and displacement knowledge domain;
• Provide policy advisory and programming services to COs in other regions as requested by the Regional Hub and Recovery Solutions and Human Mobility Team Leader;
• Provide substantive inputs in the development of UNDP’s policies for he thematic area and contribute to the formulation of global policy products on migration and displacement.
2. Coordination and delivery of technical assistance, policy development and programme support on migration and displacement to governments and UNDP Country Offices in Africa:
• Facilitate the engagement of Africa regional policy advisors / technical experts who are part of the SDG Integrator cadre for advisory services in migration and displacement, as per scoping agreements;
• Contribute to quality assurance and standard setting in the:
* Delivery of services with Policy and Programme Support Advisors in the Regional Hub and HQ advisors;
* Prioritization, planning and fielding of missions, in collaboration with other GPN teams, for assessment and programmatic design and follow-up at country level in Africa, and other regions, as required;
* Substantive caliber, coherence, and results-focused programme development and regular reporting of results achieved in Africa.
• Advise on resource mobilization/financial assistance as required and coordinate approvals, as required.
3. Substantive leadership for content development and curation of tools and resources on migration and displacement, from across UNDP’s network of expertise:
• Provide technical expertise in identifying tools, developing methodologies and producing knowledge management products on development approaches to migration and displacement;
• Provide technical expertise on the content development for regional/CO knowledge products on development approaches to migration and displacement through the analysis of data, case evidence, and research findings in accordance with corporate standards;
• Contribute to the identification and scoping of technical issues warranting collaboration with HQ and regional teams to research, develop and share knowledge-based tools, such as policy positions/practice notes/concept papers and other research-based products to influence/advance policy dialogue in the migration and displacement knowledge domain and present UNDP’s knowledge assets and capabilities at global and regional forums;
• Work closely with policy teams in HQ to advance research, testing and roll-out of newly commissioned policy/business development initiatives, by providing the Africa regional perspective/specificities as well as experience-based insights on what is of most practical value for national counterparts and regional leaders in Africa;
• Design and deliver training on programming tools including by developing training packs for COs in Africa to facilitate innovation learning, foster and encourage policy innovation and continuous improvement to enhance programme delivery on migration and displacement.
4. Knowledge management and community of practice networking on migration and displacement in Africa and across other regions:
• Contribute to the continuous analysis, documentation, codification of regional results/lessons learned in Africa;
• Review regional data in Africa, case evidence and research findings to distill pivotal lessons for UNDP globally;
• Advocate and enable South-South facilitation of exchanges and experiences sharing where valuable;
• Support the capacity development of UNDP staff in application of tools and practices on migration and displacement;
• Development and strengthening of linkages with poverty, resilience, peacebuilding and governance community of practice, both inside and outside of the UN System.
5. Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement for effective policy positioning on migration and displacement in the Africa Region:
• Advocate the application of ground-breaking development approaches for migration and displacement, especially as an integrated approach to achieving the SDGs/Agenda 2063, in various regional and country fora with a view to deepen related political commitment and related reforms;
• Represent UNDP within engagements in interagency coordination in migration and displacement policy areas;
• Provide technical advice on relationship management of regional partners including the Africa Union, SADC, IGAD, ECOWAS, and resource mobilization in line with UNDP’s priorities and corporate guidelines;
• Provide technical advice on mobilizing and fostering external partnerships behind regional initiatives;
• Manage the building of strategic alliances and partnerships, especially with key think tanks and non-governmental organizations in Africa;
• Ensure UNDP Representation at inter-agency meetings, academic conferences, donor consultations and other events;
• Collaborate with UNDP advisors / programme managers and country-based and Peace and Development Advisors.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
Ability to persuade others to follow.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
Development and Crisis Assessment and Planning
Ability to use methods, tools and regional analysis to determine impact of various elements for development contexts, crisis and post crisis situations
Migration and Displacement Dynamics
Knowledge of impact of and development approaches on migration and displacement issues within a humanitarian-development contexts.
Sustainable Development Goals
Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations on migration and displacement.
Ability to substantively engage and foster networks with academia, research institutions, and think tanks.
Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge on development approaches to migration and displacement.
Collaboration & Partnerships
Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP.
Management & Coordination
Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration. Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need.
Education: Master's degree, preferably in international development, migration and/or development, law, international affairs, business administration, development economics, or other relevant field.
• A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in either public sectors (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with increasing level of responsibility.
• Proven track record and leadership experience in the UN System related to migration, displacement, and situations of crisis and fragility.
• Excellent negotiating and communication skills and ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, academic, civil society, business community leaders).
• Proven track record of management and resource mobilization skills.
Language Requirements: English and French Proficiency.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension