Terms of Reference
Senior Assistant Monitoring & Evaluation/ VAM
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
This Vacancy Announcement will close on 12 August 2018 at 11:59 PM, Rome Time.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Duration of Employment: Initial 6 month contract
- This position is open to qualified Bolivian candidates or foreigners with current legal permission to work in Bolivia.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The position will be supervised by the Head of Programme Officer, Programme Unit.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Technical support with respect to M & E in Bolivia, including guidance and assistance in planning and implementing M & E activities related to implementation of the CSP 2018-2022.
- Compilation and analysis of monitoring data for the formulation of corporate reports by the reports officer, specifically SPR, Executive and Country Brief, and CO briefs, as required.
- Assist staff at sub-office in analysis and consolidation of qualitative and quantitative data to prepare upon request consolidated monitoring reports
- Assist the CO in other areas as required.
- Support roll-out and implementation of the corporate monitoring and evaluation strategy:
- Assist in developing project and context specific monitoring plans that are risk-based and focus on measuring results;
- Conduct on-site missions to COs to roll-out the country office monitoring and evaluation tool (COMET);
- Provide quality assurance for monitoring and performance reporting processes and products:
- Review and provide comments to new projects and budget revisions produced by the Programme Unit to ensure that acceptable indicators are selected for the log-frames, that output and outcome, targets are appropriate, and that quality M&E systems are documented in programme documents;
- Ensure minimum M&E standards and requirements for WFP operations are identified in project documents; Provide technical inputs to the formulation of Standard Project Reports (SPR) to enhance the quality of output and outcome reporting;
- Support analysis of CO M&E data and provide feedback for improving results reporting;
- Support the Programme Unit unit to review, harmonize and standardize the existing approaches to vulnerability analysis, early warning, food security and nutrition assessment and food assistance (CBT) targeting, including objectives, methodology, and geographic coverage and data collection methods;
- Assist in the development of data collection instruments (e.g., questionnaires) to be used by field staff and counterparts to obtain updates on relevant indicators
The professional is also expected to do a focalization work through the VAM and evaluations in emergencies (EFSA).
- Geographical analysis of VAM data (GIS) as required.
- Other tasks related to the position upon request.
Well prepared analytical work and well managed projects. Demonstration of full knowledge of monitoring and evaluation standards, methods and processes. Excellent analytical skills and communication skills demonstrated through preparation of well-analysed data and comprehensive reports. Technical advice provided to management on issues related to monitoring and evaluation. Data quality checks, consistency and accuracy are performed in a timely manner. Effective coordination with his/her supervisor and other units of the CO, which leads to adequate delivery of required resources. Training provided to WFP staff in designing and implementing effective M&E and interpretation of VAM data, including map presentations.
- Developing M&E system including preparation of data collection tools;
- Development and maintenance of monitoring database
- Capacity development for government counterparts, cooperating partners and WFP staff; analysis of both qualitative and quantitative data;
- Performance reporting of operations; developing training materials and training facilitation methods.
- Knowledge of GIS will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of SPSS or related software will be considered an asset
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- In-depth knowledge of results-based management principles and practices and WFP’s corporate accountability frameworks;
- Proven knowledge, abilities and skills in the areas of Monitoring and Evaluation;
- In-depth knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methods, metrics, statistical applications and reporting systems;
- Advanced analytical skills;
- Ability to meet agreed deadlines and work with minimal supervision;
- Ability to deliver results through planning and organizing activities;
- Proven ability to develop quality reports and analyses with minimal direction;
- Excellent cross-group collaboration skills;
- Knowledge of computer packages related to database, statistical processing and geographic information. Ability to work with relevant technology and procedures (e.g.: web-based databases, other statistical applications and GIS) to collect, organize, share and use corporate information.
- Results-based oriented
Education: Professional in areas related to development, food security, social sciences and agriculture.
Language: Excellent knowledge of English (fluent written and spoken).
Experience: Demonstrated skills in the collection and analysis of information. At least 5 years of experience in management by results, monitoring and evaluation systems and reporting of projects and programs.
"WFP is committed to an inclusive work environment in which diversity is valued, and has zero tolerance for any kind of discrimination"