Creative is seeking a Mathematics Specialist for an anticipated donor-funded project in Nigeria aiming to enable more effective state and non-state systems to deliver foundational skills to all children. The Mathematics Specialist provides overall technical oversight and guidance to the activity’s support to improved mathematics instruction, including mathematics standards, benchmarks, curriculum and assessment systems, and learning environment.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Curriculum Development Advisor.
- Provides leadership in the development of standards and benchmarks in mathematics
- Supervises the development and testing of mathematics curriculum and instruction
- Supports the national scale-up planning for the mathematics curriculum;
- Supports assessment (formative and summative) of mathematics skill development of students
- Ensures that activities and approaches across geographic areas are complementary and equitable, including under-served populations in need of inclusive education; and
- Liaises with government representatives and technicians on technical matters and bears ultimate responsibility for ensuring that children in activity-supported schools achieve improved outcomes in mathematics.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in education with a specialty in early grade mathematics or another pedagogically-oriented specialty;
- At least four (4) years of experience in work specifically to improve evidence-based early grade mathematics programming; preferably directed to rural, ethno-linguistic under-served populations;
- At least four (4) additional years of experience improving educational quality in developing countries is required;
- At least five (5) years of experience in Africa is highly desired;
- Prior proven experience with the development and implementation of evidence-based early grade mathematics materials (and preferably in local languages), training programs, classroom monitoring protocols, and tests and assessments required; EGMA experience (preferred); and
- Fluency in English is required; fluency in local languages is highly desired.
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.