Under the guidance and overall supervision of the Head of Office Libya, the Local Security Assistant (LSA) will provide support to the OCHA Office in Libya on all matters related to safety and security, including logistics support to OCHA personnel and operations in Libya. The incumbent will ensure a high quality of work, through accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery. The incumbent will be required to perform his/her duties without minimal supervision and promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The LSA works in close collaboration with the OCHA Libya management and coordination teams, UNDSS, NGOs and programme staff in other UN Agencies and security focal points in OCHA HQs.
Under the overall supervision of the OCHA Libya Head of Office and under the day-to-day guidance of the OCHA Libya Deputy Head of Office and Access focal point, the incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implements security/logistics strategies and policies focusing on achievement of full compliance of records and reports with UN rules, regulations, OCHA policies, procedures and strategies and information to the management and staff on contextual analysis, strategies, rules and regulations.
- Provides security services and assistance to the OCHA Libya office, which includes liaison with UNSMIL security unit and UNDSS for all matters relating to security aspects, such as security clearance, and security advisories and alerts to OCHA staff in a timely matter; briefings for missions and OCHA team;
- In collaboration with UNDSS ensure appropriate professional liaison with host government
- agencies, local authorities responsible for security, law and order, counterparts in UN and diplomatic missions and municipal/traditional leaders;
- Provides logistical support such as preparing field visits and inter-agency missions, support mission planning, arrangement of transportation, and convoy planning;
- Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the country office through training of staff when it comes security, and contributes to knowledge networks, awareness of communities of practice, and support knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of OCHA as an effective contributor to support humanitarian assistance in Libya. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
- An ability to work in a calm, competent and committed manner; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
Planning & Organizing
- Ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
- Provides services, support, advice, guidance to internal or external clients, and seeks to see things from their points of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Results-Based Response Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses performance of the humanitarian response to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into response mechanisms.
- Monitor and evaluate access for humanitarian response in order to ensure timely delivery of assistance to affected people.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Secondary education is required. University degree in social science or equivalent combined with a security training from either military or police or in related field is desirable.
Seven (7) years of relevant experience in logistics, security and programme support. Familiarity with and good knowledge of the Libya crisis and humanitarian assistance to Libya is strongly desired. Excellent networking and engagement skills strongly desired. Previous experience working with UN in Libya would be advantageous. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) Required.
Contract Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension