Under the guidance and overall supervision of the Head of Office Libya, the Access Associate will provide support to the HCT Access Working Group and OCHA’s Access Focal point for Libya. The incumbent will ensure a high quality of work, through accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery. The incumbent will be required to perform his/her duties without minimal supervision and promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Access Associate works in close collaboration with the OCHA Libya management and coordination teams, UNDSS, NGOs and programme staff in other UN Agencies.
Under the overall supervision of the OCHA Libya Head of Office and under the day-to-day guidance of the OCHA Libya Access focal point, the incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support the country office’s Access Focal Point in fulfilling OCHA Libya’s access mandate including through the implementation of OCHA’s minimum package of services on access;
- Supports development of an internal OCHA work plan on access, in coherence with the HCT strategy (when available) and ensures that identified access indicators are properly monitored and achieved;
- Supports the development of OCHA access products (e.g. snapshot, maps, reports, etc.) and ensures coherence and consistency in the development and implementation of internal access initiatives, products and key messages;
- Monitors, analyses and reports on access constraints, trends and initiatives;
- Supports preparation of briefing materials and presentations providing up-to-date analysis on
- the access situation;
- Maintains a network of local contacts among key stakeholders, including de facto authorities and the humanitarian community;
- Supports engagement with relevant actors on humanitarian access issues, including advocacy and negotiations with all relevant actors (e.g. government, armed groups, communities, etc.);
Impact of results:
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of OCHA as an effective contributor to support humanitarian assistance in Libya. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
- An ability to work in a calm, competent and committed manner; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
Planning & Organizing
- Ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
- Provides services, support, advice, guidance to internal or external clients, and seeks to see things from their points of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Results-Based Response Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses performance of the humanitarian response to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into response mechanisms.
- Monitor and evaluate access for humanitarian response in order to ensure timely delivery of assistance to affected people.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts and build effective partnerships with wider humanitarian counterparts, for well-coordinated humanitarian response and sound information management
- Analyses and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
undamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Secondary education is required. University degree in social science or equivalent combined with a security training from either military or police or in related field is desirable.
Seven (7) years of relevant experience in logistics, security, de-confliction or programme support. Familiarity with and good knowledge of the Libya crisis and humanitarian assistance to Libya is strongly desired. Excellent networking and engagement skills strongly desired. Previous experience working with UN in Libya would be advantageous. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) Required.
Contract Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension