UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
The Linux and Virtualization - Systems Associate will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV). Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Information Systems Officer, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC, Valencia, Spain, provides specific expertise in the implementation and operation of the UN Hybrid Cloud strategy for the back end infrastructure including: storage arrays, SAN switches, processing cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the hybrid environment.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC and will report to Information Systems Officer or his/her designate and is responsible for the following duties:
Summary of Key Functions
- Linux and Virtualization Support
- Technical Support
- Knowledge Management
1. Linux and Virtualization Support:
- Maintain Linux server infrastructure that support several mission critical applications.
- Maintain virtualization platform infrastructure and provide support to customers.
2. Technical Support
- Operate Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services cloud and on-prem infrastructure at data centres as well as overlay onto existing hosted server network.
- Develop scripts for operation process automation based on systems engineering and configuration management frameworks.
- Act as technical resource on deployment projects, including hands-on configuration of complex components.
- Contribute to solve complex problems on cloud and data centre specific activities.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
3. Knowledge Management:
- Continually explore, evaluate and recommend advanced technologies to provide higher quality service, scalability and modern architectural standards.
4. Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above .
Impact of Results
The result of work of the Linux and virtualization - Systems Associate impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DPO and Peace Keeping and Special Political Missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
Education, Experience and Language Requirement
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator is required.
- ITIL Foundation certification is required. ** Experience:
- 6 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems, preferably in an international environment.
- 5 years of experience with Linux technologies and their use in delivering secure, highly available, mission critical enterprise-class solutions
- 5 years of experience with virtualization and related technologies in complex and multilocation environments (e.g. VMware, VMware SRM, etc).
- 3 years of PowerShell and PowerShell CLI
Desirable: Cloud experience, preferably in Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure.
Experience supporting multi location enterprise grade data centre is desirable.
Experience with Log Management Platform (e.g. Elastic, Kibana, Logstash) Experience with automation software (e.g. SCCM, Ansible, Red Hat Satellite)
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement, knowledge of a second UN language an advantage.
Integrity and Inclusion - Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and others - Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.
Partnering - Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation - Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility - Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused - Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective communication - Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.