- Budgeted level: SC-5
- Section/Unit: IDAL
- Reports to: Project Manager and UNDP Programme Manager
- Project reference: 00102281
- Source of Funding: 00102281
The Investment Development Authority of Lebanon (IDAL) was established in 1994 to spearhead Lebanon's investment promotion efforts and to promote Lebanon as key investment destination. In 2003, the UNDP Project was established to support IDAL implement its mandate by establishing capacities and systems to manage, monitor and ensure timely implementation.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Project Manager and UNDP’s Programme Manager, the Junior Economic Researcher will be responsible for supporting the institution in conducting the needed research to develop specialized clusters, assisting in identifying investment opportunities across selected sectors, and supporting the marketing department in developing sales pitches, in addition to other projects as requested by the Project Manager.
- Support the economic team in conducting socio-economic feasibility studies of selected zones in Lebanon with the aim of developing specialized clusters and economic zones
- Assist in conducting SWOT analysis of regions, carrying out a supply-demand analysis, and benchmarking Lebanon against regional peers
- Support the economic team in coordinating with urban planners and architects to develop master plans for specialized clusters
- Assist in reviewing and updating investment opportunities in all economic sectors and conducting relevant surveys when needed
The incumbent will be closely working with the marketing department and will:
- Assist in developing sales pitches on IDAL’s 8 key economic sectors which entails conducting detailed research on Lebanon economic sectors and regional positioning; noting that particular emphasis will be placed on developing tailored pitches for the technology sector
- Assist in transforming all economic and industrial information developed by the economic team into investor friendly materials
- Assist in developing key economic messages and infographics to promote Lebanon
- Support in developing an investment promotion strategy in key target sectors
- Work closely with the Project Manager and IDAL’s Chairman on other activities aimed at promoting investments
- Excellent knowledge of economics and current development issues particularly those pertinent to the project
- Ability to analyze data and apply conceptual models
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented reports conforming to the required international standards
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under time constraints
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Tested multitasking skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Fluency in word processing, spreadsheets, and internet technology
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business Administration, Political Science or related fields.
- A minimum of two years of relevant work experience preferably in policy development.
- Experience with the Lebanese Public Administration and/or UN agencies is preferable.
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English.
- Knowledge of French is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: End of December 2019 (Renewable)