Information Technology (IT) Assistant
RefugePoint was founded in 2005 to provide lasting solutions for the world’s most vulnerable refugees. We work to fill the critical and unmet needs of people affected by war and conflict that have fallen through the net of humanitarian assistance, in particular women, children and urban refugees.
The primary responsibilities of the IT Assistant are to implement new IT activities under the direction of the IT Manager so as to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our programs. This position reports to the Information Technology (IT) Manager.
Core responsibilities and duties:
Systems and Infrastructure Support
- Monitor systems uptime, including the servers, internal wired and wireless networks and external internet connections.
- Troubleshoot all IT related issues, escalating issues to the IT Manager as needed.
- Track, maintain, and catalog all IT equipment.
- Work closely with the M&E department in actualizing their requirements.
Provide regular reports on systems status.
Applications Maintenance and Support
Maintain and further develop our in-house MS Access databases.
Maintain and further develop our mobile data collection system (android and web-based).
Assist with reports and data extraction when needed.
General Support and Training
Troubleshoot and fix problems arising with the office IT equipment and serve as RefugePoint’s help-desk focal point for all IT support.
Train staff on all custom internal applications.
Train staff on Microsoft applications and basic software and network troubleshooting.
Act in accordance with user needs and system functionality to contribute to organizational policy.
Identify commonly recurring requests for assistance and provide advice on how these can be prevented or minimized, through training, user awareness, changes in configuration etc.
Act as the backup for the IT Manager as needed.
Any others duties as maybe assigned from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: Bachelor degree or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum three years’ formal work experience in an Information Technology position. Previous NGO experience would be a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Expertise:
- Familiarity with modern database and information system technologies.
- Strong understanding of database architecture, design, and development.
- Excellent practical knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows operating systems.
- Strong knowledge of MS Access, including coding in VBA, designing and creating tables, queries, forms, reports and custom modules and deployment of MS Access databases in a multi-user environment.
- Strong knowledge of web and mobile development environments, including Bootstrap, CSS, HTML, PHP and Java.
- At least three years’ experience working with Microsoft Access and coding in Visual Basic.
- Excellent working knowledge of networking and troubleshooting network related issues.
- Excellent working knowledge of wireless technologies, including deployment of wireless networks.
- Comfortable working in a multicultural environment.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent collaboration skills and an ability to work independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Ability to type forty (40) words per minute (wpm).