Summary of Position
The East Africa intern will be an integral part of the Regional East Africa Team and will provide programmatic, logistical and administrative support to Search’s projects in the region. The intern will report to the Program Development Manager - East Africa
Search’s East Africa portfolio includes Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. For more information on our projects in East Africa, please visit https://www.sfcg.org/
- Contribute to the design and production of grant proposals
- Draft project reports being submitted to our donors
- Conduct research and context analysis on the geographies of conflict of the Horn of Africa and the Sudan
- Assist with updating country program web pages, and produce communications materials to increase the visibility of our projects
- Attend conferences and policy meetings in DC, representing the East Africa Team
- Backstop the Washington, D.C.-based East Africa team and our country offices overseas on a range of logistical and administrative tasks
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- Strong writing, editing and communication skills
- A self-starting, detail-oriented and flexible approach to tasks
- Demonstrable interest in the East Africa region and/or peacebuilding and conflict resolution
- Degree in relevant subject
- Prior knowledge of peacebuilding/conflict resolution and/or international development
- Experience working at a non-governmental organization/non-profit or similar environment
- International experience
- Fluency or advanced proficiency in other languages (French, Arabic, Somali, Swahili)
Salary: This is an unpaid internship
The position is based in Search’s Washington, D.C. headquarters. This position requires a commitment of no less than 20 hours a week for a minimum of three months, ideally starting in early January.
Undergraduates (juniors and seniors), graduate students, and recent graduates are welcome to apply.
Please note that the position is unpaid, but school credits can be arranged for students with their institution.
For international applicants, Search is not responsible for providing student or work visas; you will need to make your own visa arrangements.
This position will close on February 28, 2019